Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2009 Slow to do almost everything and often "stops responding"

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 2009 Slow to do almost everything and often "stops responding"

The ACT! program doesn't control the database. It's under the control of the SQL server. That's why closing the ACT! program doesn't close the database.

Roy Laudenslager
Retired ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

[ Edited ]

THIS A NOT TRUE! This software does not perform well on the most powerful workstations.  It is a waste of money and time.
I bought my copy of Act2009 for $230.00 never received the 100.00 rebate check.  Loaded the software on a Dell Precision Workstation Laptop ($3300.00 Laptop) and all I do is wait for
Act to respond.  It's impossible to get any work done at all.  It's shameful that Sage could put a product like this on the market!
I do not recommend you buy this product.
-Patrick Micozzi

Platinum Elite Contributor

With all due respect, complaining without providing your system specifications is not very useful. How about providing the operating system, total RAM and hard drive speed in RPM. For what it's worth, I have a system running Windows 7 64 bit, 8-gig RAM and a 7200 RPM hard drive and it loads the ACT! program and opens the ACT! Demo database in 8 to 10 seconds.

Roy Laudenslager
Retired ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

fasest laptop?

What is the fastest best price for a laptop?

I guess 6gb, 7,200 RPM hybrid drive, Intel processor, does graphics speed matter?

anyone do any testing, does processor speed matter once you get a new Intel processor?

[ Edited ]

I updated from a 5400rpm HDD in my C2D P8600 HP Elitebook 4GB RAM laptop to an OCZ Vertex 2 SSD with a fresh install of Win XP Pro (32bit so I realise only 3.25 GB ram is usable) and a fresh install of ACT and it still took more than a minute to load and often pauses during use with (not responding). This also occurs when ACT hasn't been used for a while but is still loaded as one of the Windows apps.

Bottom line is ACT 2010 is a dog of a program and needs to be re-written to work as fast a ACT 5 or 6 used to. Let's hope this is achieved with the next update.

I've used a very slow machine (e-machines) with version 6. Never had a problem. Tried to install on a newer computer. Didn't work, so I upgraded to version 9. I never made it work properly. I like the features. (altough many unnecesary) I see Roy commenting the same thing; performance. My question. We are commmon people with common skills. We are not software experts.  It seems like the questions asked right here are never answered. Only "how much ram and speed do you have. You guys do not listen the consumer. That's why many people are getting pirated software. They don't wanta to risk more than $200.00 And that's just creating another problem. We as consummers want to improve our skills on our industry, not the software we use . It seems the more skilfully we get on conputeres the harder it is to manage software. If you guys (manufactures) just listen, things will be much different.