Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2009 Slow to do almost everything and often "stops responding"

ACT 2009 Slow to do almost everything and often "stops responding"

I have been using ACT since the time of dirt (pre-Symantec). I recently "upgraded" to 2009 (11.0) Version 11.0.0.367. I purchased the upgrade for no other reason than I finally decided to buy a new Blackberry, and I wanted to have contacts and activities on it. Sales said that they would sell me a product to sync PC ACT to Blackberry, but that I had to upgrade becasuse ACT 6 was end of life, not supported, and would not allow me to sync to the Blackberry.

Took multiple calls to support to manage the installation and conversion process from ACT 6. Downloading all sorts of "as is" software to perform functions that should not have been required. Finally have a database that has been converted, and works (sort of).I did the ACT conversion first, added the Blackberry second. I now have the data I want on the Blackberry (why I started this painful process) and that is good...

What is bad - My database went from less than 10 MB to more than 50 MB. Things that were instananeous in 6 take from right now till never on 11. I understand that SQL is the reason, and am seeking any advice on what I can do to "fix" the problem.

What I have - Dell Inspiron 5100  Pentium 4 2.66 Ghz / 512 MB of RAM / XP Pro SP 3/ 9GB of Free Space on Drive (25+% Free)

What is making me nuts - once program loads, I might want to go from the default my record view to look at a calendar. Click the button - wait for the calendar (sometimes). One day it may be instantaneous. Another it brings up an hourglass and twiddles it's virtual thimbs for some period of time (30 sec is not unusual), then it brings up the calendar view, but there are no activities (calls, meetings, to do) still the hourglass and the thumb twiddling, maybe it comes up, maybe it stops responding. 

Having spent much time twiddling my thumbs waiting for the program to stop twiddling it's thumbs, I have tried to see what it is doing. Windows Task Manager seems to indicate that when it's twiddling it's thumbs, it is waiting for sqlsrvr.exe to do something. During long wait time processes sqlsrvr.exe starts to do something, and what it does will only happen when the sqlsrvr.exe moves higher on CPU scale than System Idle Process. If it does not acheive critical mass for whatever it is trying to do, then the program stops responding - which may correct itself after a time, or may never correct itself. If it fails to correct itself, then ending the program would seem like a good idea, except that you can't actually end this program. You can't just shutdown/restart - it's waiting for ACT. Option is hard reset or kill a process.

Advice on what to do short of changing computer or not using program would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 2009 Slow to do almost everything and often "stops responding"

Your biggest problem is that your laptop is a minimum configuration for running ACT! 2009. You list 512 MB RAM which is the minimum recommended for ACT! 2009, increasing it to 1 GB would show noticeable performance improvement. Also, the hard drive in your laptop is likely a 5400 RPM drive (possibly even a 4200 RPM drive) which will also cause performance problems. A 7200 RPM or faster hard drive is preferred for using the ACT! program. Fortunately upgrading your RAM can be easily done at a fairly low cost and I would strongly suggest that you do that.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Roy,

I have the exact same setup as the previous post except that I have installed 2Gb of RAM in my Inspiron.  There was NO CHANGE in performace on this system.  I have not upgraded the hard drive, but am very skeptical that it will help at all. 

This is an EXTREMELY frustrating product to use.

Bryan

The ACT! program has always been I/O bound so the faster the hard drive, especially the drive RPM and the size of the drive cache, will make a significant difference. I have a laptop with a 5400 RPM hard drive and my desktop has a 7200 RPM hard drive and I can see the difference in performance between the two systems.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

This is an EXTREMELY frustrating product to use.

I feel your pain.  The only solution i have is to keep going with 6.0.  There is a very cool software package called Companion Link (no, not a dating service) that translates data between a wide variety of CMS software and PDA's for synching.  I'm using this to sync act 6.0 with a windows mobile (yuck) pda for the moment and it looks like it handle all the blackberrys as well.

my C: drvie is two 10,000 rpm raptors on a raid 0 setup - can't get much faster than that, and I've had to uninstall each new version of act I've tried and revert to 6.0 because it is so painfully slow. 

hey,  you guys want to throw a bunch of money in and we'll start a contact management software company?  I hear there's a real need Smiley Very Happy

I don't understand Sage's lack of response to this, they've got a great brand in Act but every review you read (for all versions after 6.0) laments the speed issue  yet  with version after version they fail to fix it or even say "guys, we're sorry, we  know its a problem, we're doing such and such to fix it".  The only reason i just don't move on is I still really like the application and think the overal flow/features etcis the best there is in contact management software.

I too used ACT 6.0 which had its issues but at least it worked o.k. I also just "upgraded" to ACT 2009 Version 11.  One of the worst pieces of software I ever used.

I am using it on a desktop with 1.512 GB RAM and a 3 GHz processor and the performance smells. 

The "integration" with my Outlook 2002 is soooooooo bad (email editor hangs, coverts HTML emial i try to forward to ASCII, slows down Outlook altoghether) that i am considering asking for my money back and just using the old 6.0.  And they have to use the stupid SQL Server add-on that takes 120 MB of RAM.  Seems like bad programming to me.

This seems like another instance of a good piece of software working fine when it was first develoepd but after numerous "upgrades" and changes of ownership it turns out to be just a heavy clunker that works terribly.  Anyone know of a good simple alternative???

Is there a performance change between ACT! 6.0 to later versions? Yes.  Since ACT! 2005, the program has under went a number of changes to front and back end with the migration to Microsoft .NET and SQL Server.  These changes rely more heavily on the computer and environment from previous versions. Having this new structure has its up and down sides.  One if the down side has already been mentioned - performance.  One of the upsides is security.  ACT! 6.0 and lower, you can simply copy the DBF and open it in Excel.  You will then have access to all of your contacts information (excluding notes/histories/activities).

I personally do not like to compare ACT! 6.0 to later versions in terms of performance because of the different structures.  I can say that ACT! 2009 is by far the best version since the move to .NET and SQL.  One of the main focus areas for each release (especially 11.0) is performance.  We are aware of the performance concerns and development is always trying to find ways to increase performance. 

Regards,

Here is the bottom line comparison I use when comparing ACT 6.0 to ACT 2009 Version 11.

I bought ACT 6.0 back in 2002.  Worked o.k.  Did not slow down my system.  No SQL memory hog.

I spent $180 to upgrade to ACT 2009. Works crappy. Slows down system.

When I use this bottom line comaprison I believe I got hosed for $180.

Will be asking for my $180 back.

What is your hard drive RPM and what is the make of your processor?
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

ACT! 6.0 didn't run off of SQL.