Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2009 Slow to do almost everything and often "stops responding"

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 2009 Slow to do almost everything and often "stops responding"

Glad to hear that you were able to fix the SQL problem. If you haven't done so already, try maxing out your swap file and excluding the ACT! program from any antivirus autoscanning. The ACT! program load does take time but your times do seem excessive. One minute or less is what I would expect.
Roy Laudenslager
Retired ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Tuned Listener

P4 @ 3.2 Ghz

1G ram

Custom paging set at 1536 initial and 3072 max

Is virtual memory paging different than a swap file?

Is excluding Act! from antivirus autoscanning the same as putting the Act! folder into the Resident Shield Directoy Excludes list? I use AVG.

Any comments on the "not responding" messages displayed in task manager?

Thank you for working with me on this.

See responses below. 

@jskyer wrote:

@P4 @ 3.2 Ghz

1G ram

Custom paging set at 1536 initial and 3072 max

Is virtual memory paging different than a swap file?

-- It is the same, try 4092 for both. It also helps if you turn off the swap file and defrag the drive, restart the computer and then setup the swap. 

Is excluding Act! from antivirus autoscanning the same as putting the Act! folder into the Resident Shield Directoy Excludes list? I use AVG.

-- Yes

Any comments on the "not responding" messages displayed in task manager?

-- Very misunderstood message. Some operations can be excluded from a regular interruption by Windows. At that time Not Responding is reported. In other words, Not Responding does not mean Not Working.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Tuned Listener

What a dramatic difference. Down to 1' 32" from 1' 45". Did everything you suggested and started Act! 11 from a fresh restart.  

You say that Act! 11 can take a long time to start. Close to a minute. If I only started it once a day and let it run all the time, like it would be on a network server, I wouldn't care if it took three minutes to start. But this is running on my only computer and gets unloaded and loaded frequently during the day. What else can I try in order to cut this down to around a minute as you suggested it should be?

Tuned Listener

A little more info on what I see happening. I just checked the Windows event viewer logs and found that the following errors occur every time I boot the machine:

Application:

Failure Audit : MSSQL$ACT7 

Login failed for user 'ACTADMIN'. [CLIENT: 192.168.1.64]

Warning : SQLBrowser

The configuration of the AdminConnection\TCP protocol in the SQL instance ACT7 is not valid.

Other messages indicate that Act! is also starting up every single database that I ever created. Even ones that I thought I had detached and deleted.

There is also a number of things that make me believe that my computer is trying to log in to a non-existant server. Or, perhaps, thinking it is a server and looking for other machines to connect to it. Both assumptions are incorrect.

Highlighted

I too upgraded from 6.0 to 11.1.  Terrible!!!

I only did it to get better email functionality and Swiftpage which does not work on 6.0.

If you upgrade from 6.0, just know this. 

Plan to spend a lot of money.

You will need to do this to make it survivable:

Upgrade Office to 2007 to make email merge work and solves some of the other problems.

Buy a brand new computer.  Fastest B---- you can find!!! 

Buy an solid state drive and add it to run 11.  This $300 for a 128gb drive and $700 for a 256gb.

There is no mechanical spinning disk to pull and put data to.

It's all electicity at the speed of light ... 186,000 miles per second!

Act upgrade $180

Computer $2000

Office upgrade $500

Solid State drive $700

Total $3380

Before making any computer purchase, you should be sure you understand the primary application you intend to run. The ACT! program is an I/O bound program so processor speed, while not unimportant, is the least important of the factors. RAM is important and cheap. For XP I would have 3 gig and for Vista I would have 4gig or more. Mas storage is very important. I'm not convinced of the advantage of solid state drives for use with the ACT! program.Solid state drives read very fast but typically write much slower. Rather than a solid state drive, I would spend my money on a 10K RPM hard drive. 
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Hi jskyer, Haven’t heard from you in awhile; guess like me, you gave up. Out of desperation I did a “Save a copy as” eight times and put the databases on my employees computers, and set up a periodic sync to the main database on the server. Every instance, even the oldest, slowest, computers run the program better local that when trying to use the database on our server. I just don’t get it. This “solution” it not what I wanted, but will buy me some time until I find another solution – one that works. 

Then the other day I got a notice to upgrade to ACT 10 as part of my Platinum Care, but it was for only five licenses and I have ten. Have written twice asking for the other five but still no reply received. From what I read, ACT 10 isn’t addressing any of the issues we’re experiencing; rather adding functionality for LinkedIn, Facebook, Plaxo whatever. Is Sage SURE they want us to start using these media to talk about how terrible ACT is???

Ralph
Tuned Listener

[ Edited ]

Hi,

We used to have poor performance across the board. Here's what I've done and it has helped significantly:

- Install SP3 for SQL Server on the main database server and all the clients. I can't stress this enough. It has helped tremendously.

- Install all applicable .NET service packs

- Crank up the page file usage on the Windows machine that is hosting the main database (or on your machine if you are the sole user). It's under My Computer > Properties > Advanced > Performance. Typically Windows manages this itself, but I have found that sometimes (ok... lots of times) Windows doesn't act in the best interest of I/O heavy applications.

- Use 2 gig of ram (only $30) bare minimum. If you can go higher, do so! I wouldn't recommend running ACT on Vista with less than 4 gig.

- If you can, go with a 7200 RPM drive (sata, not ide)

Most of my users have noted significant performance upgrades due to this. We have 30 users with 12,000 contacts. It only takes about 3 seconds on each screen change.

Hope this helps.

Ryan Goode

Message Edited by rmgoode on 09-15-2009 09:01 AM

[ Edited ]

Well, I'm one of those luck guys that also enjoyed Ver 6 and has suffered ever since. I'll tell you the other UN-upgrades you may not have noticed in a minute. But what I'm really looking for is a program I heard of to CONVERT BACK to Ver 6?  If you know of it or How to do this, please respond.  I see know end in sight here. 

Scheduling - I use this feature a lot.  I put reminders in for everything I want to be reminded of.  So, I have built up to about 900 of them now.  Well, in Ver 6 this was no Problem because you could easily and quickly change the date by just highlighting the Date, hit +/- to the new date and Enter (you're done)  less than a Second.  Fast forward to any ACT since - you have to OPEN EACH Task, than hit date, change it, close and WAIT, WAIT WAIT - it takes over 20 seconds just to close it + the time spent opening each one.

Additionally, in Ver 6, I could show the Tasks in a list form (still can in newer versions) but in ver 6, I could highlight the date, hit +/- and again easilly change my dates, arrow down to the next Task and so on.  NO MORE - must open each one.  Same time loss problem.

I could reschedule 100 tasks in 2-5 minutes (reading the subject line is the only thing that slowed the process down).

AND, I used to be able to Hit RESCHEDULE ALL, for all the tasks that poped up - no more - you can ONLY SNOOZE All of them at one time. How [Edit: content removed] did they get away calling these UPGRADES??  And I've owned about everyone from Ver 7 to 2009 ver10.

Back to my original question - how do I get back to the Old faithfull Ver 6??

Message Edited by ghollister on 02-09-2010 04:26 PM