Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2009 Slow to do almost everything and often "stops responding"

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 2009 Slow to do almost everything and often "stops responding"

@jcullen7 wrote:

CTRL-L to open a schedule activity window (26 sec)

I just tested this on a 15,000 contact database and tried CTRL-L and the dialog came up almost instantaneously, under one second. What you are experiencing is not typical. Something about your system is causing that slow performance. 

Please check your private messages, upper right corner of the screen. 
Roy Laudenslager
Retired ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

For some users, ACT! 6 was and is, with all its problems, adequate and until they want to move to Vista or Office 2007 should have no problems continuing to use ACT! 6. However, ACT! 6 had severe limitations in the size of database it could handle and ACT! 2005 and later will handle much larger databases. I have another client that has a database of over 100,000 contacts and has not problems. ACT! 6 could not work with a database that size.
If ACT! 6 does everything you want, keep using it. But, with all due respect, I think your characterization of ACT! 2009 as poorly written software is off base.

I only have my paradigm so I accept that others might find benefit in moving off 6.0 to something else.  Frankly I would be happy carrying on with 6.0, however it is no longer supported and one hasn't much of a choice when buying a new computer; vista is thrust upon you.  So 6.0 is not a sustainable solution - thats why i just can't keep using it.  my line of questioning started in the other thread wanting to find out what users experience has been with V11 so far as speed goes....I haven't tried V11 and was looking for a sense of the product's speed from users which i'm getting.  My disdain toward the SQL verions of Act are based on trials of other SQL versions so I wanted to hear from users that the performance issues had be solved with V11 before going for it.   It may or may not be poorly written and I don't think I characterized it other than just painfully slow....but from the users perspective how else could you described a 10,000% reduction in performance?  (in other words my characterization of it can only come from my experience with it)
David, I can't remember exactly what actions caused the wait times, but it was similair experience to what jcullen7 describes. As I say, I don't have V11 and my comments were based on experience trying other SQL versions, no longer installed.  If there was a trial version I'd install it and we could compare notes, but right now i just have 6.0.
Roy, it is interesting that you get such a fast response time where jcullen7 did not.  It's hard to rationalize such a difference - Is there perhaps some setting or configuration that is causing all these performance issues?  Thing is, these problems aren't isolated to jcullen7 and myself, complaints of poor performance on later version of Act are everywhere.....so if it is configuration, a lot of us are in the dark and in pain and it would so be in Sage's interest to help us understand where the glitch is.
David, If there is a trial version I'd be willing to install, work with you on getting the speed solved, doing some tests etc.  There's no one that wants to see this resolved more than I as I really like Act and don't want leave as 6.0 fades into the sunset.  or Maybe V11 is almost as fast as 6.0 in which case i'll trumpet from the rooftops
(not sure why my line breaks aren't showing up)
Message Edited by objectivist on 01-08-2009 04:25 PM

As so many people do, you are looking at the processor speed and capabilities for performance. Unless you are doing a lot of graphics, gaming, or intense math calculations, extra money spent on the processor will gain you little or nothing. For example, ACT! 2009 and many other programs are not optimized for dual processors. For using the ACT! program, you want at least 1 Gigabyte RAM (2 Gigabyte RAM is the OS is Vista). For the ACT! program, the biggest performance improvement (assuming the above RAM suggestions) would be to move from a 5400 RPM to a 7200 RPM hard drive. Finally, a word about processors, I don't have definitive evidence but I suspect that the AMD processors have problems executing programs written for the Microsoft .NET framework so I would suggest that you stick with an Intel processor.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

@objectivist wrote:

Roy, it is interesting that you get such a fast response time where jcullen7 did not.  It's hard to rationalize such a difference - Is there perhaps some setting or configuration that is causing all these performance issues?  Thing is, these problems aren't isolated to jcullen7 and myself, complaints of poor performance on later version of Act are everywhere.....so if it is configuration, a lot of us are in the dark and in pain and it would so be in Sage's interest to help us understand where the glitch is.

The difference between what jcullen7 is reporting for those operations and what I can do on mine and other peoples systems defies a configuration setting. I suppose if the system had only 256 Mbytes RAM and a 4200 RPM hard drive you might see performance that poor. But that's not the case, the performance should be much better. I keep coming back to the same thing, since ACT! 2005, the main common denominator with the people having the most performance problems has been that their systems had AMD processors.

Please check your private messages, upper right corner of the screen. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

If AMD is the problem then I am in trouble.

3 clients with All intel gear. 5 to 15 Workstations.  Max 3 to 6 ACT users.  Mix of Fast P4's and Core 2 Duo's Gigabit networks and fast servers and drives are all 7200 RPM and faster 2 to 4 Gb RAM each.  Each client has horrible ACT performance on 2009.

We have reindexed, run actdiag and prayed and sacrificed large and small animals..We are pretty sure it is not our imaginations and the users are not stupid and there is no virus or spyware problem.  AV is not scanning shares and local act folders are excluded.   Went so far as to disable AV and the problem remains.

Speed is an issue whether the datbase is loaded on the network and when it is loaded locally.

This is a little spooky...I have just downloaded the trial version of 2009 ACT 11...**bleep** it is slow...I have a new laptop, uncluttered with programs 15% used and 2GB of ram....I was not able to copy my ACT 6 over to this vista controlled computer...so hence the trial.

I have just been on the phone to tech support complaining about lag and freezing especially within the email package which is running through outlook 2007...I am really happy with the office package (shame I cannot use Access efficiently...!!) especially my outlook, I thought I would link Outlook to Act so I could monitor emails sent and recieved at a glance, you have no connection unless you tell ACT outlook is the programme...!!! Pretty useless in my opinion.

I hate waiting and I hate programs that cause these old fashioned freezing issues.

I thank you all for these apposing comments and think I will have to remove this cumbersome updated version and await the update that does not compremise your computer.

Lucky for me I did not have to pay for this evaluation period....because I cannot load ACT 6 on this machine I will have to learn Access 2007...!!

What is your hard drive RPM?
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Highlighted

Update with my old slow notebook...

I now have a HP/Compaq notebook with Intel P8400 Core2 Duo CPU at 2.26 GHz, 3GB RAM and the standard 5400 RPM HD but "downgraded" to XP Pro from Vista.

My ACT2009 is running like I expect it to without any appreciable delays in searches, lookups, etc.  ACT is currently consuming 112 MB RAM so maybe the extra resources that Vista requires is slowing down some peoples PC's?  A total of 1 GB is currently being used so definitely more RAM the better.

The only issue with the Outlook integration is that it keeps an Outlook process running behind the scenes which must be manually closed via Task Manager.  Hopefully this will soon be corrected!

Nickel Contributor

That particular issue with outlook remaining running in the process list is associated with a veritable plethora of addins with Outlook. Last I heard MS was looking for a solution as well.

I have seen where the I-Tunes add-in to Outlook can cause this issue.  Go to your Add-In Manager in Outlook (Tools/Options/Other/Advanced/Add-In Manager) and see if there is an I-Tunes add-in.  If so, uncheck it to disable. Then close/reopen Outlook.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.