Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2009 Outlook email attaches to multiple records

ACT 2009 Outlook email attaches to multiple records

I'm stumped...In outlook I click "attach to record", then select 1 record for the email to attach too.   When I look the ACT  I will find that it is attached to about 20 records.   ACT support tells me the email address is the same for all reords, but I don't have email address included.  I know it's not much to go with but it's all I have right know.   I don't even know where to start.

Thanks for any help. 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 2009 Outlook email attaches to multiple records

With the 11.1 update to ACT! 2009, the messages attach now according to the email address. If there are multiple contacts with the same email address in any email field in ACT!, then that history will attach to them as well.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Champion Listener

I just came across this post.  I didn't realize this was really working this way.  This is a problem for many clients that I have.  Let me throw a scenario out for you....

Let's say I am a financial advisor.  On my client's contact record in ACT! I have a spot for their accountant information including an email address field. 

I also have the accountant in my database as a contact with his/her email address listed on their own contact record.  Now if I email the accountant about something totally unrelated to the client, it will attach to both records?  I just tested this and found it to be true.  I can't believe I totally missed this problem before now.

Is there any way to get around this?  Other than making the account email field on the contacts record a character field instead of email?  Which I would then lose some funtionality too.

Scott Frey

ContacTech

Unfortunately, there is not a way to get around this. The decision to use email addresses was made because of the inconsistencies involved in using just the contact name, and by and large this has worked out. Just a suggestion, instead of including the accountants email address and other information in the contact's record, try using the Relationships tab instead. This way a link to the accountant will be under that tab and one click takes you to the accountants full contact record...so you don't have to duplicate information in one record that you already have in another.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Tuned Listener

I had this same issue.  Now I am trying to clean up the history.  Unfortunately when you delete the history from one contact, it deletes it from all.  Any suggestions on how to resolve?

Hello mclark,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. Instead of deleting the email history record from under the Contact's history, open up the history record, click the Contact button and remove any contact's from the list that you do not want to have that email recorded for.

Greig Hollister