Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! 2009 / Outlook 2003 - "Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

ACT! 2009 / Outlook 2003 - "Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

Using ACT! 2009 with Outlook 2003 - all worked reasonably well until yesterday. Now, whenver I create a new email in Outlook, I get an error from ACT! called: "Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

It is slowing me down and driving me to distraction.

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: ACT! 2009 / Outlook 2003 - "Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

Is there any additional infdrmation concerning this error?  If so, could you please post the entire error message and sequence taken that resulted in this error?

thanks

Matthew McFadden

Re: ACT! 2009 / Outlook 2003 - "Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

The sequence is as follows:

1) Boot up PC

2) Open MS Outlook 2003

3) Click "New" to open a new message dialogue in outlook

4) Error from PC:

Error window opens, title bar of which reads "ACT!"

Next to the large red dot with a cross through it is the text: "Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

If I then open ACT! 2009, I get the same error.

Nickel Elite Contributor

So I can offer a procedure, is this a Vista machine or Windows XP?

thanks

Matthew McFadden

It is a Windows XP machine.

Thanks

Nickel Elite Contributor

1) Reboot your machine

2) Close all open applications

3) Open a command window "Start|Run cmd"

4) Change directory to the location of where ACT! is installed, such as \Program Files\ACT\Act for Windows

5) Run the command "MachineConfigUpdater.exe"

6) Reboot the machine

7) Attempt the procedure that previously resulted in the error.

Please post your results.

thanks

Matthew McFadden

I followed your instructions. There is no improvement.

Thanks,

Nickel Elite Contributor

So what happened to the machine between the time it was working and the time it was not?

If you open the Event Viewer on the machine, what does the Application Events show as well as System Events?

Doe this only happen upon launching Email, or, can you NOT even launch ACT! as a standalone application?

If this only happens during Email launch, have you tried disabling the ACT! Outlook add-in?

thanks

Matthew McFadden

[ Edited ]

Paul,

Do you have Microsoft Office 2007 Primary Interop Assemblies installed?  If you do, close ACT! and any Office applications, then uninstall Microsoft Office 2007 Primary Interop Assemblies.

Message Edited by dlunceford on 02-12-2009 08:49 AM

Re:

Do you have Microsoft Office 2007 Primary Interop Assemblies installed?  If you do, close ACT! and any Office applications, then uninstall Microsoft Office 2007 Primary Interop Assemblies.

No - it is an XP machine with Office 2003, Outlook 2003 & ACT! 2009.

Thanks,

Paul