Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2009 + MYOB Accounting Plus V15 - Memory Problem

Copper Contributor

ACT 2009 + MYOB Accounting Plus V15 - Memory Problem

Hi everyone.

Just a quick headsup. If you're running ACT 2009 Premium (and maybe earlier versions) along with MYOB Account Plus V15 (and possibly other version of it), AND you're using the Act Outlook plugin to automatically associate sent and received messages (using a rule in Outlook), you'll probably encounter memory issues.

The symptom: The outlook plugin chews up more and more memory, and eventually throws an out of memory exception error.

The cause: ACT! can’t automatically assign emails sent by MYOB Accounting Plus V15. The outlook plugin can't associate them, but instead of flagging them as failed and asking me to do something about them, it just keeps trying (which quite quickly increments the memory it’s using). I think it can't handle these emails because MYOB doesn't use a display name, it simply uses a raw email address.

The 'solution': When you send an invoice via email, remember to stop the outlook addin from trying to associate it, then remove the email from the failed list. (Not much of a solution, I know.)

Does anyone have any idea if ACT will overcome this? I know the next version of ACT is supposed to consider the secondary email address of senders when trying to associate emails... Maybe this is something they'll also cover?

Cheers.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 2009 + MYOB Accounting Plus V15 - Memory Problem

I haven't heard of that happening, and ACT! should be able to attach based on just the email address... also, ACT! 2009 will attach to secondary emails when sending. The current version will only use the primary email or contact name with attaching incomming emails via Quick Attach or Outlook Rules.

Have you tried just typing a raw email address into Outlook and seeing what happens?

Maybe MYOB is doing something that is breaking the add-in?

Copper Contributor

You're right. It handles raw email addresses (no display name) fine. Just dumps them in the 'Not Attached Messages' tab. Seems like MYOB's doing something a little strange.

Looking back on it, I'm surprised I didn't put two and two together earlier. I've known for a while that ACT wasn't automatically processing the emails sent from MYOB.I just never questioned why those emails weren't appearing in the 'Not Attached Messages' tab.

Note that Outlook 2002 used to deal with MYOB emails weird too. It didn't seem to recognise the Sent date, from memory. So when I went to my Sent Items to grab the email and archive it, it was always at the bottom of the list when sorted by date. Or was that in Explorer? Can't remember, but it was one of them (outlook, I think). Maybe that's related..

Platinum Elite Contributor

I've just noticed it's not attaching emails sent from my QuickBooks... no memory issues, they just don't appear in the attaching application.

But, when I highlight them in the Sent Items folder in Outlook, they do attach.

Wonder if it's something about how these apps are sending emails that bypasses the addin?

Copper Contributor

Interesting...