Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2009 Lost Emails

ACT 2009 Lost Emails

I had approximately 65 emails just disappear this morning.  They were transfered in over the past 3-4 weeks from yahoo.  Went to bed last night and everything was fine.  This morning the inbox was empty.  Any suggestions as to where to search for them or how to restore them?  I use ACT for business (or have since July) and this is disasterous!!!   Is this common?

Re: ACT 2009 Lost Emails

Try following these steps.

1.  Close ACT!.
2.  Go to Start and select Run
3.  Type %appdata% and click Ok.
4.  Browse down to ACT\ACT for Windows 11
5.  Select and copy preferencesbak.xml
6.  Open Preferences folder and paste preferencesBak.xml
7.  Delete all USpreferences206.xml files
8.  Rename preferencesBak.xml to USpreferences206.xml
9.  Open ACT! and see if your emails are retrieved.

Will this be a permanent fix?

I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago regarding losing e-mails.  I have not added anything to my database since it happened.  I tried the suggestion you gave to sbranch, but was not able to retrieve my missing e-mails.  Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks.

Brian Williams

Does this not appear to be a MAJOR problem with this software?  I would think Sage would be all over a problem of this magnitude. 

Were you able to get all of your e-mails back?

I have a little more information for Mr. David Lunceford.  I don't know if this means anything or not, but when I type %appdata (and don't put the % sign at the end as you suggested) in to the search box, I see 6 of the e-mails that are missing returned in the search on the start menu, not in a folder, but just on the start menu where I typed in %appdata.  They are listed under "Communications"

This will only work if  you're using ACT! Internet E-mail.  Majority of the time when users 'lose' their emails, its due to the preferences being corrupted.  Common causes for preferences to become corrupted is ACT! closes unexpectedly due to an error, power outage, Windows updates, or antivirus.  The way internet email works is that the USPreferences206.xml file stores something call a storeid which consists of a long string of alphanumeric characters.  If the preferences are corrupted, the storeid is lost and will generate a new id.  Because of the new id, it will not link correctly to the actemailmessagestore that stores the internet emails.  The steps that I provided basically copies a backup preference file (preferencesbak.xml) and replaces the preference file that has the incorrect storeid (USPreferences206.xml).  But in the case where the backup preference has the same storeid, the steps will not work.  The emails can still be recovered by calling support.

Thanks for the information.  When I call support, I am going to have to pay the $45 one time support fee ticket or purchase a support plan.  Is that correct, or is this situation handled in a different way?

Thanks.

Brian

My program was still under warranty.  They went in and restored my emails.  The fix posted online did not work.