Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2009: Import as Companies

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

ACT 2009: Import as Companies

Hello -

My company is making the long leap from ACT 2003 to ACT 2009.  We will be exporting the 2003 content and importing into a new 2009 database, rather than using the conversion process.

It is vital that I be able to import those contacts as companies in the 2009 database.  The import wizard appears to give you the option to import things as either company, group or contact records.  But when I attempt to import as company records, the import process simply will not work.  It doesn't throw an error - it just quickly flashes the progress bar and returns to the main window, with nothing imported.

If I attempt to import the very same tab-delimited file as contacts, the import works properly.  It also works if I import as groups.  But as companies, I get butkus.

Is there some trick to importing as a company?  Maybe some field it checks to validate whether something does / does not qualify as a  company?

Thanks for any guidance!

David

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author IT-Person
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: ACT 2009: Import as Companies

Solved!  I found a message about someone else who was having trouble importing companies, and it turned out to be an issue with the .csv file's column label for the Company field.  My label was fine, but my file did have about 20 blank rows in it.  I pulled those out, tried the import again, and it went right in. 

My guess: the importer didn't like bringing in Company records that had a null value for the Company field.

Hope this has helped someone.

David

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Elite Contributor

ACT! 2007 and later is still a contact centric database so you're going to need to contact records anyway. My advice, convert the ACT! 6 database and get one of the addons that will batch create company records from the contact records.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

This ACT database upgrade project is being done under special circumstances.  Using the conversion process (as opposed to exporting / importing) is unfortunately not an option.  And, because of the unusual way that we're going to exploit the ACT 2009 Company / Contact dichotomy, converting contacts into companies in ACT is also quite a problem, even with the help of batch conversion.  The only good answer here is to be able to do what the import wizard seems to imply it can do, and that is import data as company records.

So, as an experiment, I tried importing a very simple .csv file as company records.  This was to see if there might be something that was disagreeable in my original file.  But I got the same result. 

Next, I tried importing contact records first, and then did a second import of the same file, but as company records.  This was to see if ACT was refusing company records in a database that had no contacts.  But it still doesn't work.

And I'm not really sure what else to try.  I'm searching through Help, the KB and this message board, but it seems I am alone in the world for wanting to use this feature.  It is confusing to me that the option is right there on the import Wizard, and the program doesn't stop you or even throw an error when you try it.  I hope I'm just missing something.  If I find this is the case, I'll report back.

Anyway, thanks very much for your response.  I appreciate it.

David

Solution
Accepted by topic author IT-Person
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Solved!  I found a message about someone else who was having trouble importing companies, and it turned out to be an issue with the .csv file's column label for the Company field.  My label was fine, but my file did have about 20 blank rows in it.  I pulled those out, tried the import again, and it went right in. 

My guess: the importer didn't like bringing in Company records that had a null value for the Company field.

Hope this has helped someone.

David