09-24-2009 04:52 AM
Problem began when I changed from ACT 2009 / Outlook 2003 / XP to a new notebook with ACT 2009 / Outlook 2007 / Vista.
After making my primary contact address book the "default", Outlook closes and automatically restarts when I try to use the "To..." or Address Book clicks in a new Outlook email or when I try to access the address book in Outlook with Tools/Address Book.
I do not have the problem when testing with the ACT Demo database. I am the sole user on this database.
I have read as many postings around this problem as I can find. Possible problems mentioned are:
1) database size?? Mine is 10,000+ contacts.
2) "invalid email address characters"??? I'm not sure how to efficiently audit my email addresses.
I would appreciate suggestions for diagnosing and repair. Thanks.
09-24-2009 07:38 AM
Please try this.
1) Remove the address book from your Outlook session.
2) Make sure your machine is up to date with all Critical and Recommended updates from Microsoft including Office updates.
3) Attempt your procedure again posting back your results.
09-24-2009 10:06 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. I accomplished your suggestions and the failures continue.
To expand just a bit on my original post, this problem did not happen in the former (Outlook 2003/XP) environment. The problem happens most of the time now but occassionally (10-20%), Outlook will successfully find and show the proper ACT address book, regardless of whether I go to it through Tools / Address Book or To... in an email.
When Outlook fails, it gives me a pop-up saying either, "MS Outlook has stopped working. A problem caused . . . . " or "Microsoft Outlook is restarting".
09-24-2009 11:06 AM
Ok, let's try this.
1) Remove the Address book from Outlook.
2) Invoke and complete "Office Diagnostics" from the Help|About area within Outlook.
3) Add you ACT! Address book back
4) Try the procedure again, posting your results back here.
09-24-2009 11:53 AM
Ran diagnostics. No problems found. No corrections made. Added ACT address book back. Clicked Address Book icon - successful. Opened new email. Clicked To... - success. Closed address book window. Clicked Address Book icon in the same open new email - failed. Restarted Outlook. Opened new email. Clicked Address Book icon - success. Closed address book window. Clicked To... - failed.
Thanks for sticking with me on this.
09-24-2009 11:56 AM
Can you launch ACT! for me and select Help|About and give me the exact version information it displays?
I want to see if your ACT! session is as current as it can be.
09-28-2009 01:43 PM
At this point, I am going to suggest that you contact support for further investigation of this issue. Here is the contact information: