Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! 2008 version 10.3.182.0 will not open.

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

ACT! 2008 version 10.3.182.0 will not open.

My client has windows xp pro sp3. She had to reformat her computer and reinstall aCT! 10. I can not open ACT after installing it. What I have noticed is that it did not prompt me to register the software and earlier I was getting this error:

Could not load file or assembly Act.Share.Utilities version 10.3.182.0, culture=nuetral, public keytoken=ebf6b2ff blah, blah, blah..

Has anyone seen this before? Any suggestions to fixing this? I have tried installing in selective startup and still did not work.

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author iwendlei
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT! 2008 version 10.3.182.0 will not open.

This is a procedure I wrote to get the most clean install possible:
Uninstall any version of ACT! from Windows Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs
Use the Uninstaller.exe from the ACT! KB 19338 (the exe, not the manual uninstall)
Uninstall .Net Framework (all versions) - this does NOT apply to Vista users as .Net 2.0 is part of the OS and can't be uninstalled
Uninstall any MS SQL items from the Control Panel if still there
Uninstall MSXML 6 Services from Control Panel if it's still there
Perform a Selective restart with MSCONFIG as per ACT! KB 14499
Install .Net 2.0 Framework (only 2.0 for ACT! 9/10) from MS web site (only XP, not Vista)-
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&displa...
Install ACT! 10.0 full install
Install ACT! 10.03 patch if the previous install was a previous build
Restore from Selective Startup Mode with MSCONFIG
Reboot

View solution in original post

All Replies
Copper Contributor

I'm wondering if I should manually uninstall ACT! 2008. I did the uninstall wizard earlier and found problems with sql... Did the ACT! Uninstall to delete the aCT7 instance. So I was able to uninstall okay.. I have a feeling there are registry junk that needs to be manually deleted.

Is this what I should do?
Solution
Accepted by topic author iwendlei
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

This is a procedure I wrote to get the most clean install possible:
Uninstall any version of ACT! from Windows Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs
Use the Uninstaller.exe from the ACT! KB 19338 (the exe, not the manual uninstall)
Uninstall .Net Framework (all versions) - this does NOT apply to Vista users as .Net 2.0 is part of the OS and can't be uninstalled
Uninstall any MS SQL items from the Control Panel if still there
Uninstall MSXML 6 Services from Control Panel if it's still there
Perform a Selective restart with MSCONFIG as per ACT! KB 14499
Install .Net 2.0 Framework (only 2.0 for ACT! 9/10) from MS web site (only XP, not Vista)-
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&displa...
Install ACT! 10.0 full install
Install ACT! 10.03 patch if the previous install was a previous build
Restore from Selective Startup Mode with MSCONFIG
Reboot

Help!  I have ACT 2008 version 10.0.1.  When I was having trouble with my email I uninstalled the program.  When I reinstalled it, I was told that there are now updates and I selected to update the newly installed program.  The problem is now I cannot open my database - it tells me that I've upgraded and the old data base does't recognise the new update.  What am I supposed to do to get these items aligned?  This is driving me nutty and I really need some help.  Thanks in advance.  Helene
Copper Contributor

What you have suggested was done before I read this message. What was also done after the uninstall of ACT was manually deleting act registry keys.

Thanks for your time. I will save this post.

hcsugarman2 wrote:
Help!  I have ACT 2008 version 10.0.1.  When I was having trouble with my email I uninstalled the program.  When I reinstalled it, I was told that there are now updates and I selected to update the newly installed program.  The problem is now I cannot open my database - it tells me that I've upgraded and the old data base does't recognise the new update.  What am I supposed to do to get these items aligned?  This is driving me nutty and I really need some help.  Thanks in advance.  Helene

What's the error you're getting?

At a guess, it would be because all users must be on the same build. So you should update the server first to update the database, then update any other users.

You can download the current patch from http://www.act.com/support/updates/index.cfm 

iwendlei wrote:

What you have suggested was done before I read this message. What was also done after the uninstall of ACT was manually deleting act registry keys.

Thanks for your time. I will save this post.

If you used the uninstaller.exe as per my post, it would remove the reg keys and be a lot faster for you :-)

Copper Contributor

Oh mighty Mike Lazarus. You are right as usual!

Thanks for being there to help!

I have Act 10.0 and have had it on 2 of my computers and after following your instruction for the Vista operating system. I have had no luck in getting this to open. The vista computer is my remote computer which snyns to the desktop with an XP operating system. I have had no problem with this program until I downloaded the update and now I have a mess. I was able to go back in time on my desktop and restore it to before the patch, but my vista will not restore. I have used Act for many years and have never been this frustrated. Please advise on how this should be handled..... Thanks

katiebostic wrote:
I have Act 10.0 and have had it on 2 of my computers and after following your instruction for the Vista operating system. I have had no luck in getting this to open. The vista computer is my remote computer which snyns to the desktop with an XP operating system. I have had no problem with this program until I downloaded the update and now I have a mess. I was able to go back in time on my desktop and restore it to before the patch, but my vista will not restore. I have used Act for many years and have never been this frustrated. Please advise on how this should be handled..... Thanks

Did you do the update on ALL systems?

If running Premium, did you also get the updated sync server?

Failing that, does it open ok on the server (I think XP)?

What error do you get trying to open?