11-12-2009 05:21 PM
I have an XP Pro machine with 4 GB memory that had ACT 2008 on it - I recently uninstalled and then reinstalled - and now when I try to start ACT!, I get the following error every time:
ACT! 10.x/2008 has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
I've tried rebooting, uninstalling/reinstalling, it still doesn't help. ACTDiag seems to run fine. Any ideas why this could be happening?
11-17-2009 10:08 AM
This could be due to an invalid assembly. Follow these steps:
- Close all open programs on your machine
- Open Windows Explorer (My Computer)
- Go to Tools/Folder Options and click the View tab
- Select the option to "Show hidden files and folders" and uncheck the option to "Hide extensions for known file types". Click OK.
- Browse to C:\Windows\assembly
- Sort the files by Assembly Name. You will see a number of assembly files starting with Act.
- Look at the Version column. If any of the files are a different version than the majority, then look at that file and see if it is duplicate name of the sam file that has the correct (current) version. If it is, then right-click on that assembly and select Uninstall. For example, if you see two files named "Act.Framework.DataExchange" and one is version 10.1 and the other 10.3, and the majority of the assemblies are 10.3, then you would uninstall the 10.1 version.
- After you have eliminated all duplicate, invalid assemblies, reboot your machine and open ACT!
If this process does not resolve the issue, then the issue is more than likely with the Microsoft .NET 2.0 Framework. You will need to uninstall ACT! and .NET 2.0 (from Add/Remove Programs), reboot, and reinstall both using your ACT! disk or download.
Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.
11-17-2009 12:05 PM
Right after I posted the message, I went into the registry and removed as many instances of Act as I could find - many of them looked like the
Act.Framework.DataExchange you mention. Once I did that and uninstalled/reinstalled, it worked. So, I'm guessing both do essentially the same thing.