Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2008 to ACT 2009 Question

Astute Commentator

ACT 2008 to ACT 2009 Question

I am administrator for an ACT 2008 database syncing with 8 other users.  One of the users had to buy a new laptop (64-bit, Windows 7) so he installed ACT 2009.  How do I move his customer's contact records from my database to his?  I realize we won't be able to sync any longer but he needs his contacts to work.

I created a back-up copy of my database and did a restore as on his laptop but it would only let me login using my user name.  He needs to be able to login as himself.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 2008 to ACT 2009 Question

First - he should really use ACT! 2010 for Windows 7 support

If you no-longer want to sync his data (at least till the rest of you can upgrade) you should backup and send him a copy of the Publisher database from the server... this should have all the users.

Astute Commentator

I tried making a backup of my database and did a Restore As on his machine.  In the Resore As process I entered his user name to login and at the end of the restore process I got an error message "You do not have the authority to restore the database.  Please see youe database administrator."

When I use my user name in the Restore As process it completes without error but I can only login as myself.  The remort user needs to be able to login to his own machine.

What am I doing wrong?

Server:  Windows XP, ACT 2008 Standard

Remote:  Windows 7, ACT 2009 Standard

Platinum Elite Contributor

My guess is that the db you're sending him is a Subscriber database (remote) that only you have access to login... that's why I suggested sending a backup of the Publisher (main) database.

Oh, another thought... as it needs an Admin to restore, but he would only have a single license so can't make another user Active.

So - make his user an Admin in the main database first (you can change this later if you want), then backup and send the DB. Restore with his account as it'll be an Admin