Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2008 reinstall

ACT 2008 reinstall

Have had ACT for years usually upgrade every year, but not this latest 2009 version. Had ACT 2008 installed on a PC, Dual Core Quad, 4G memory, 350 GHD. Vista 32 Home Premium.

A few months ago I lost my data base and it was not even in the backup directly??? But I do have CD backup. I un-installed ACT using the un-install command and it worked for about a week. Then again I lost the database, again! 

I then un-installed ACT and removed all other ACT files, like the Demo 10 etc. Also removed MS SQL as these files were trying to get installed and updated for months but there was a problem with them. So they are gone. 

I then tried to install ACT 2008 again and now it is asking for "sa password" as it found some rmeinentents of ACT 7. I have not idea of what sa password is as I never use a password to use ACT. 

So from reading the above you know I am lost and do not have any more ideas to get ACT installed again. 

Do I need MS SQL packages 1, 2 and 3 for ACT to work or does ACT install it during the normal installation? 

You can be sure that my appreciation and Thanks are extended to you for any and all help. 

Maybe I should just go and upgrade to ACT 2009???? 

Thank you 

Joe Mahar

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 2008 reinstall

This is a procedure I wrote to get the most clean install possible:
Uninstall any version of ACT! from Windows Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs
Use the Uninstaller.exe from the ACT! KB 19338 (the exe, not the manual uninstall) - select to remove the ACT7 SQL
Uninstall any MS SQL items from the Control Panel if still there
Uninstall MSXML 6 Services from Control Panel if it's still there
Perform a Selective restart with MSCONFIG as per ACT! KB 14499
Install ACT! 10.0 full install
Install ACT! 10.03 patch if the previous install was a previous build
Restore from Selective Startup Mode with MSCONFIG
Reboot

Takes time, but will give the cleanest and most stable install.

For the KB numbers, go here http://tinyurl.com/34xq94 - put the number in "Search Text" and change "Search By" to Answer ID

Mike Lazarus:

Thanks for the response, I went through your directions and still get the "sa passwork" required. So ACT 2008 does not install. There are some items that I could not perform on my VISTA Home Premium. 

In the System Confguration there is still "ACT, Outlook Server" and  "ACT ! Preloader"

Did delete MS SQL in the add/remove program but stil have it on computer when I open "all programs". This is where I find SQL Server (ACT7) and it is Running

also SQL Server 2005 Network Config has the Protocol for ACT 7 still running. Tried to Disable it in the MSCONFIG file and reinstall ACT It still comes up with the sa passwork or SQL server in not working. 

When I do a search for ACT and all files have been delected via the Add/remove option. 

I am not sure but as I am using VISTA some of the KB number links are not for Vista? 

Yes, it does take time but to obtain the end results of getting my ACT to work again, it is woth it.

Now I am at a real loss as what to do next??? 

Possibly get the latest MS SQL and install it. ??

Do appreciate your suggestions and hope that there is something else that I over looked.

Thank you again for any and all help.

Best regards

Joe Mahar 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Sounds like SQL isn't uninstalling.... assuming you don't have something else using SQL, do the ACT! uninstall as per below, then do a manual uninstall of SQL as per http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909967

Then go through the install