Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! 2008 installation on Windows Server 2003

ACT! 2008 installation on Windows Server 2003

I have Windows Server 2003 with SQL 2005 Express Edition system (using it for 2 other home-grown DBs with Access/web front-ends as well as Symantec Backup Exec and Symantec Endpoint Protection) and I want it to host the ACT! DB so it can be accessed by 4 different employees (I have a multi-user license).

I've searched this forum endlessly and find that the canned response is that I have to install the ACT! 2008 software on the server. I would have to imagine that I'm not the only one on the planet who thinks this is both wrong and ridiculous (in many ways). Is there no way to create the DB instance on the SQL server (I've seen postings that indicate the instance can be manually installed/removed) and point all clients to the server WITHOUT having to install the application itself on the server?

Please tell me that someone has found a way to do this. Please DO NOT respond with yet another canned response...I'm looking for some real world answers/results, not a simple "suck it up, kid".

Thanks in advance for anyone who's willing to provide me with a REAL answer/result.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT! 2008 installation on Windows Server 2003

Sorry, there is no way around having the ACT! program files installed on the server.

But you can get it to use your SQL install as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/4ytxxz

Nickel Elite Contributor

You may want to consider this a canned response but you must have the ACT! program files installed on the server for two main reasons, creating and managing the database and managing the user accounts.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

While I appreciate both of your responses, please excuse my rudeness by stating that I "should" be able to manage both DBs and user accounts within a management console or SQL (like most, if not all, SQL-driven applications).

I guess I'm hoping somebody from Sage notices the ridiculousness of having to do this and releases ACT 2010 with a management console that interfaces with SQL (like most, if not all, SQL-driven applications) without having to install a front-end application to do both. I also hope that ACT! 2010 provides the option of choosing NOT to install SQL on the workstations that will only point to a remote location (and therefore not need it) rather than having to disable the SQL-related services after the change/connection is made.

Thanks for allowing me to vent and for verifying there's not much I can do other than select a different product (which I don't have the option of doing).

I think the issue is that most ACT! implementations are done by users with no SQL knowledge. To accomodate this, most of the normal "SQL management" functions are done through the ACT! user interface... this, or course, means that the program files must be installed on the machine hosting the database.

You might post a request for this feature to be considered for a future version here - http://www.act.com/community/feature

Input from this web page goes directly into a database that management has direct access to read, and which they also track and gather statistics on.

Nickel Elite Contributor

For what it's worth while you can't stop the install of SQL Express on the workstation, once ACT! has been installed and activated, you can uninstall SQL Express from the workstations.

Do remember that a significant portion of the ACT! user base are single users or small businesses that often use a small peer to peer network rather than a client server setup.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

I have also run into this issue, and have spent many hours on the phone w/ the Sage support group. In the end, I had to do the same, install ACT! (unfortunately suck it up), and the use IPSec for the peer-to-server communication as the ACT! client finds the database by broadcasting..... which my enterprise LAN does not even pretend to allow..

I realize that ACT! is mainly used by lusers, with no SQL knowledge.... however, it would be nice if they released a enterprise version that would not limit so much in the way of manageing the service.

Just my two cents...

--Tim

Florida State University.

tstahlfsu wrote:

I realize that ACT! is mainly used by lusers, with no SQL knowledge.... however, it would be nice if they released a enterprise version that would not limit so much in the way of manageing the service.

I guess, at the moment, this market had been filled by SalesLogix. But you might post a request for this feature to be considered for a future version here - http://www.act.com/community/feature

Input from this web page goes directly into a database that management has direct access to read, and which they also track and gather statistics on, so the more that request it, the bigger chance it has of getting onto the priority list