Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! 2008 install/uninstall

ACT! 2008 install/uninstall

I'm trying to install 2008 and it's not going well.  The first installation failed so I went through all the uninstall procedures, including the manual uninstall.  It looked like everything was working with the re-install until the very last minute when I got a "error 1935" message and an "error" 1603" messsage.  When I uninstalled I used the procedures for 2008 but this machine had ACT! 8.0 on it previously.  Is it possible I missed some components of 8.0 that are messing things up?  Any help is appreciated.  (Just to vent - I've tried installing 2008 on 3 machines now and have not had a clean install yet.  I'm getting so frustrated that I', ready to trash ACT! and find something else... I feel better now.)

Scott

Re: ACT! 2008 install/uninstall

Scott,

I'm going to PM you a direct link to download to full ACT! 2008 10.0.3 installation.  Please install using the download on the computers having the issue.

ACT! exposed a memory leak issue in Microsoft .NET Framework with the 10.0 and 10.0.1 release that causes the 1935 error.  We have since reworked the way we install our .NET files and it has been addressed in 10.0.2 and 10.0.3.

Thank you.  Will that be delivered directly to my e-mail inbox?

Also - I tried to install on another PC and it seemed to be OK until I tried to restore my database.  I then received a long error message about "parsing, or something.  If it makes a difference, when I tried to view the demo db it said it didn't exist.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again,

Scott

Scott,

I sent the link via private message on the community.  Its the yellow envelope towards the upper right.

Can you give the exact error when restoring the database?

Copper Contributor

dlunceford wrote:

Scott,

I'm going to PM you a direct link to download to full ACT! 2008 10.0.3 installation.  Please install using the download on the computers having the issue.

ACT! exposed a memory leak issue in Microsoft .NET Framework with the 10.0 and 10.0.1 release that causes the 1935 error.  We have since reworked the way we install our .NET files and it has been addressed in 10.0.2 and 10.0.3.

I am having Act! performance issues myself.  Would a complete reinstallation be recommended?

I have a backup of the Database.

What do I back up if I want to save my custom lookup selections, layouts, etc.

Also can you provide that link for the rest of us?

[ Edited ]

Thank you  - I found it.  I installed it on my desktop (the computer with which I was having the database "issue") and it sems to be working.  I was able to restore my database, too.  (However, the demo database still doesn't show up, for some reason...)

Having said all that, I really want the software on my laptop but I'm still having issues with that installation.  I went throught he uninstallation process again to get everything clean and was attempting to install from the link you sent and I now get "ERROR 2908 - UNABLE TO REGISTER COMPONENT 7BC66624-7A15-477E-80F8-D80484C2A7F4"

Thanks

Scott

Message Edited by savagescott on 08-06-2008 12:47 PM

Padova,

That would depend on that type of performance issues you're having?  I would run database maintenance and reducing the number of opened applications before resulting to an uninstall.  I will send you a PM (yellow envelope upper right corner) with a direct link.

Database Rebuild and Repair Procedures

You can backup your custom toolbars by using the KB below.

How to Transfer Custom Menus and/or Toolbars to Another Computer

----

Scott,

I've seen error 2908 result in bad installation of .NET 2.0 or a bad extraction of the download.  Try extracting the download again, if same error, go to add/remove programs and uninstall .NET 2.0.  When reinstalling ACT!, it will install .NET 2.0 for you again.

Copper Contributor

Well to be honest, I think SalesForce.com might be faster.  Sometimes I feel like Act! is a website and I have a crappy connection.

We have a decent network setup here.  A rack in the back with rackmount servers (no desktops pretending to be servers for us thank you).

Copper Contributor

dlunceford wrote:

Padova,

That would depend on that type of performance issues you're having?  I would run database maintenance and reducing the number of opened applications before resulting to an uninstall.  I will send you a PM (yellow envelope upper right corner) with a direct link.

----

Scott,

I've seen error 2908 result in bad installation of .NET 2.0 or a bad extraction of the download.  Try extracting the download again, if same error, go to add/remove programs and uninstall .NET 2.0.  When reinstalling ACT!, it will install .NET 2.0 for you again.

How about LAYOUTS?

Copper Contributor

dlunceford wrote:

Padova,

----

Scott,

I tried using ActDiag, it says I cannot connect to the SQL server instance.