Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! 2008 gets stuck on data entry in contact fields

Copper Contributor

ACT! 2008 gets stuck on data entry in contact fields

[ Edited ]
When I add a new contact or edit an existing contact in ACT! 2008 (latest update) after having just started up ACT!, the program will not allow me to fill in and tab to more than 1-2 fields before the screen flashes quickly and the cursor is no longer in the field it was in. I have to click back into the field to continue entering data. Sometimes this happens 3-4 times before I can get the complete record entered.

I have disabled firewall and antivirus, so that's not an issue. It is installed locally, not on a network, and my machine is a brand new speed-demon Dell - 2.4GHz Intel Core2 Quad, 2GB RAM, fast SATA hard drive, so adequate hardware should certainly not be an issue.

It only seems to happen with the first contact added after starting ACT!. Even if I open ACT! and leave it for a few minutes before entering anything, it still happens. After the first contact is edited or added, additional ones seem to be OK.

Any ideas? This makes no sense, but it's extremely annoying......

Message Edited by ECSI on 03-05-2008 02:29 PM
Best Regards,

Chuck
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT! 2008 gets stuck on data entry in contact fields

Can you try turning the Video Acceleration all the way off and see if that helps?

Video Acceleration is really only useful for game players, so shouldn't effect anything else
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]
Tried that but it didn't help.

I have discovered it is not a computer issue, it is an ACT! issue. I just upgraded 5 PC's in a friend's office to ACT! 2008 yesterday and they all do the exact same thing.

Message Edited by ECSI on 03-09-2008 10:51 AM
Best Regards,

Chuck

Can you try the Visual Effects settings listed on this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/296kku

What operating systems were on the machines?
Copper Contributor

Disabling all visual effects doesn't fix the problem. All 6 machines are running Windows XP with latest service packs - 5 of them XP Pro, 1 XP Home. Does the same thing on all of them.
Best Regards,

Chuck

Can I assume that nothing else is running on the systems at the time?
No other application
Copper Contributor

That's correct, nothing running when testing.
Best Regards,

Chuck

Are the machines the same hardware (or at least video board)?

If so, you might see if there's up updated video driver available?
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]
No, none of these machines are the same at all. All different brands, purchased at different times, running different software - nothing common to any of them except this particular version of ACT!, which leads me to the conclusion that it's an ACT! bug.......

If you are running the latest build of ACT! 2008, try it yourself - start up ACT! then immediately add a new contact, and tab through the record filling in the data. I usually make it to about the first or second phone number field before the cursor is no longer in a field accepting input.

Message Edited by ECSI on 03-09-2008 12:27 PM
Best Regards,

Chuck