Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! 2008 email problems - cannot see my contacts within ACT! email editor

ACT! 2008 email problems - cannot see my contacts within ACT! email editor

[ Edited ]

I just upgraded to ACT! 2008 yesterday [from ACT! 2007].  I loaded my database and allowed it to be converted.  I then went out to see that a program update was available [v10.0.3.182].  I installed it and then started using ACT! again.  I then needed to send an email to a customer and opened the ACT! email editor just like I normally do.  However, when I went to select a recipient, the "Select Recipients" window did not have any of my contacts from my ACT! database.  In fact, it did not have any contact listed.  Perhaps I need to select which database the email editor is supposed to access?  If so, does anyone know where this option is located?

Prior to my upgrade to ACT! 2008 [from ACT! 2007], I used the ACT! email editor everyday with no problems.  I am using Lotus Notes v8.  I understand that Sage states that there may be a compatibility issue but I do not think this is the fundamental problem for several reasons:

1) What does work in ACT! 2008 is as follows: I can go to individual contact within ACT! and click on the Send Email icon and the ACT! email editor will open with that contact's email address pre-populated.  I can type a message, send it and it works.  A history gets recorded, Lotus Notes shows that the message was sent and it actually gets delivered.  SO, ACT! is working with Lotus Notes v8.  Clicking the Send Email icon from an individual contact record is not an acceptable means of working with email though because it will not handle messages that need to be sent to multiple contacts.

2) When I open the ACT! email editor, it shows new messages and the complete hierarchy of the folders I have created in Lotus Notes.  Again, ACT! seems to be communicating appropriately with Lotus Notes v8.

3) The ACT! 2007 email editor worked fine with Lotus Notes v8.  Note that the ACT! email editor always accessed my ACT! database of names/contacts and it did NOT access my Lotus Notes database of names/contacts.  I do have to keep a limited number of contacts in my Lotus Notes database such as for scheduling meetings, etc.

4) I do not believe that the actual email program that is used to send/receive email has anything to do with the ACT! email editior not being able to access the contact names in my ACT! database.  In the end, an email program that is used to send/receive email may not work with ACT!, but from the ACT email editor, I suspect that I should be able to connect to the names in my ACT! database.

Any help would be appreciated.  I use the ACT! email editor because it is setup to record a history - this is very important for my work and this functionality is extremely helpful and saves me a lot of time.

Message Edited by sorenson997 on 11-21-2008 07:09 AM
sorenson997
ACT! by Sage 2009 (11.0) Version 11.0.0.367
Windows XP SP3

Re: ACT! 2008 email problems - cannot see my contacts within ACT! email editor

One other item that I should have mentioned in the original post:

I am NOT trying to integrate ACT! with Lotus Notes.  I am okay with using the ACT! email editor to create email messages.  I understand that it has limitations, as compared to Lotus Notes, but this is okay for me.

sorenson997
Windows XP SP3

Try running database maintenance from actdiag.

Database Rebuild and Repair Procedures

David,

Thanks for the advice about running database maintenance.  This is something that I should do on a regular basis.  However, running the maintenance did not correct the problem but I do believe that I have found the problem: ACT!2008 and ACT!2009 do not appear to play nice with ESRI's add-on application called BusinessMAP v4 [when the BusinessMAP v4 connectors to ACT! are installed].

Unfortunately the ACT! technical help line was not able to diagnose the problem.  On two separate calls, the representatives simply told me that I should purchase ACT!2009 because it integrates into Lotus Notes v8.  I was told that if I purchased ACT!2009, my problems would be solved.  I took their advice and purchased ACT!2009 but this did not fix the problem.  I discovered the problem on my own about the the interaction between ACT! and BusinessMAP. 

I have also since discovered that ACT!2009 does NOT appear to integrate into Lotus Notes v8 as I was told it would.  Two technical supports reps told me that it did, so I purchased ACT!2009.  However, as I went through the email setup GUI, I did not see anything about integrating my ACT! database into my Lotus Notes v8, so I called support.  When I called support to see how to integrate ACT!2009 into Lotus Notes v8, the third support representative stated that it did not integrate.  The representative simply went through the email setup GUI with me again but we did not change anything.  Someone please tell me if they have integrated Lotus Notes into ACT! such that you can use the Notes email editor, access your ACT! database contacts while also automatically creating a history when an email is sent.

As you install BusinessMAP v4, during the setup, it will detect and ask which "conectors" you want to install.  If I install the connectors/links to ACT!, I CANNOT see my ACT! contacts within the ACT! email editor.  However, if I do NOT install these connectors/links, then the ACT! email editor runs just as expected.  The problem probably lies within the program coding of some dynamic link library file but this is beyond my abilities.

I have ordered the latest version of BusinessMAP and ESRI states that it is compatible with ACT!2008 and 2009.  I wish that I was not told that purchasing ACT!2009 would solve my problems because it did not.  I also wish that I was not told that ACT!2009 integrates into Lotus Notes v8 because it does not appear to do so, and according to another ACT! representative, it indeed does not.

I hope this information is useful to anyone else that encounters the same situation.

sorenson997
Windows XP SP3