Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2008 and Outlook 2010

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

ACT 2008 and Outlook 2010

Hello - Our office is currently running ACT 2008 (10) and we are testing Microsoft Office 2010 with it on a test computer.  I notice that ACT does not recognize Outlook 2010.  Does anyone know if there is a patch or a work around this?  I've seen posts for ACT2010 but not 2008.  We are running Windows 7.  Any help on this would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Rick

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author schou10
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: ACT 2008 and Outlook 2010

Glad to hear that part is working!

To get it to record history will require adding the Act! Address Book to Outlook.  The steps for this are outlined in the original article about this, the last section in the article.  Here is the link again for easy access: KB Article 26713

Greg Martin
Sage

View solution in original post

All Replies

Rick,

That is correct, Act! 2008 is not compatible with Office 2010 and will not recognize any Office 2010 applications.  The same is true of Act! 2010 but we are able to 'trick' it into using Outlook 2010 by replacing a Preference file.  We haven't tested this work-around for an Act! 2008 installation, but if you'd like to try it - the steps can be found in this article: KB Article 26713

PS. We'd love to hear your results!

Greg Martin
Sage
Platinum Elite Contributor

Your best bet would be to upgrade to ACT! 2011 ... this supports Windows 7 and Office 2010 (in 32 bit mode)
Copper Contributor

Greg - I tried that article and the path directories are not correct.  Is the USPreferences206.xml file a file already in ACT?  If it is, I am not locating it.

Rick

Rick, the USpreferences file should be there - you'd have some issues if it wasn't.

It will be located in this folder: %appdata%\Act\Act for Windows 10\Preferences

(%appdata% is entered in the Windows Start > Run box).

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Greg - I do not see a preference folder either.  Is it hidden by chance?  Each machine has ACT 2008 installed but the database is accessed off a network drive so each user has access to it.

Are you signed onto a computer that you normally use Act! on?  Or are you signed onto a user's computer  with your username?  I ask to make sure you are looking at the correct Application Data folder - it has to be the one for the Windows user that accesses Act! on the computer.

The Application Data (appdata) folder is normally hidden, but once accessed - the underlying folders should display.  Are you finding any Act\Act for Windows # folders in the Application Data folder?  If there are others, look in them to see if the Preferences folder is present.

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

The computer that we are testing is on a remote computer. I will have to see if I can access the hidden folder.
Copper Contributor

OK, I found the folders and found that I have both the US Preferences206.xml.old and the the one from the thread.  I do not know how they got there.  ACT still doesn't see Outlook 2010.

Even in Act! 2010, after adding the new USPreferences file, Act! won't actually 'see' Outlook 2010 - but the settings will be in place for it to use Outlook to send emails. 

If you have made any changes to the email settings, go ahead and close Act! > replace the USPreferences file again > then open Act! and click on an email address to see if it will open an Outlook email message. 

There have been several changes to the Act!/Outlook integration since Act! 2008, so this may not work... but it is worth a try.

Greg Martin
Sage