Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! 2008 / Vista : Handheld synch not working properly

ACT! 2008 / Vista : Handheld synch not working properly

Have managed to get IPAQ talking to my desktop using Windows Mobile Centre and Sync Centre. Problem is it's going into sync mode, completing with no error messages but then I find loads of data has not been sync'd. EG. new contacts entered in ACT, new meetings entered in ACT or on IPAQ. When I go into ACT Tools/Handheld set up it will not let me load, it says ActiveSynch is required. When I install ActiveSync on Vista it comes up as unrecognised program and aborts installation. Have done the following... Looked on knowledge base and installed relevant hotfixes. Changed registry key as suggested in the KB. Reinstalled ACT!Link. Any ideas? Is this a known bug or is there a fix?
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT! 2008 / Vista : Handheld synch not working properly

Have you made sure you're running 10.0.1 (or 10.0.2 available now) as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/59qlob

There are quite a number of threads of issues with Windows Mobile having issues with Vista.

You'll get past all the issues and have a better experiance with Handheld Contact - it installs and sync's wirelessly, so doesn't care about Activesync. You can download a 14-day trial from that link to test

Hi Mike and thanks for the reply I'm using ACT! Standard and the version numbder is 10.0.1.199 When I downloaded and installed the update yesterday it gave me the option to repair or uninstall only so I assume I already have the upgrade. I also tried the regfix mentioned in the KB article. Thanks for the link to synch product unfortunately that's a sledgehammer to crack a nut as I only want simple synching in one location.

Actually, Windows Mobile 6 isn't supported yet according to http://www.act.com/2008/system/

So, the only choices are Handheld Contact (which does support Win Mob 6) or you might try Companion Link from www.CompanionLink.com - if you order Companion Link, use the code GL6766, it will save you a few dollars.

Thks Mike. Yes I saw 10.0.2 standard links but no link for the UK only Europe which wouldn't install. Will try the Companion Link software that could be all I need.

I saw the UK update is only there for Web... which is odd as the Web update is usually done after the others.

Wonder why UK is late?

But either way, the ACT! Link won't work with your device, so it's only CL or HHC

Thks Mike. Have just downloaded Companion Link and in the installation guide it's telling me I need Active Synch which of course is not compatible with Vista so my conclusion is Companion Link will not work with Vista!

Hi Mike Just tried after spending 10 mins with their support people who were quite helpful. It's a horrible convoluted process which involves syncing Act with Outlook first inj Companion Link and then Outlook with my IPAQ using Windows Mobile Device Centre. Some sort of conflict occurs each time I do it and one one occasion it duplicated all my contacts on the IPAQ and then another time duplicated all my to-do's in ACT (good job I was able to restore!). I think I'll just wait until ACT is full Vista compatible. What a sorry mess! I expect things to just work in this day and age! Thanks for trying to help.

jwellings wrote:
Hi Mike Just tried after spending 10 mins with their support people who were quite helpful. It's a horrible convoluted process which involves syncing Act with Outlook first inj Companion Link and then Outlook with my IPAQ using Windows Mobile Device Centre. Some sort of conflict occurs each time I do it and one one occasion it duplicated all my contacts on the IPAQ and then another time duplicated all my to-do's in ACT (good job I was able to restore!). I think I'll just wait until ACT is full Vista compatible. What a sorry mess! I expect things to just work in this day and age! Thanks for trying to help.

The duplicate issue is actually a problem with Vista not properly recognising the IPAQ... this is the biggest reason to go with Handheld Contact which won't have this problem as it uses it's own application rather than having to lose info into the Mobile Outlook interface