Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2008 Offline database synchronisation

ACT 2008 Offline database synchronisation

Hi,

I have helped a customer through an upgrade to 2008 and also the use of offline databases for their remote users, but I have come across a problem.

What appears to be happening is if I do not have an active Administrative session open on the server then the synchronisation does not work, I have tried closing it but get a phonecall soon after from the users complaining that it does not work anymore.

Has anyone come across this before and as a result have you got a solution?

Thanks in advance

Anthony

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 2008 Offline database synchronisation

Standard or Premium version. If standard, ACT! must be open on the server for synchronization.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Nickel Contributor

Roy is right on the difference between Standard & Premium, but I'd also ask how you configured the syncing? Within ACT or using the Network or Internet Sync application?

I ask because if you used both, it's possible the Network/Internet Sync service never started if you had ACT running?

With the Sync service not running, then you'd have to have ACT open to perform the sync hosting.

Ken Quigley, BA, MCSE, ACC, APT
Toronto, Ontario
www.keystroke.ca

Hi,

Thanks for your responses, i set up the sync from inside Act and as far as I am aware it is ACT standard.

Is there any way round this problem?

Thanks

Anthony

Nickel Contributor

Sorry, but you'll have to upgrade to Premium.

This distinction, along with the additional field level security, is the biggest reason my clients pay the extra for Premium.

Having the program open on the server in order to host syncing requests creates very real security implications - as you're discovering.

There is no other way around this limitation with Act Standard.

It's why its cheaper and unsuitable for security sensitive environments.

Ken Quigley, BA, MCSE, ACC, APT
Toronto, Ontario
www.keystroke.ca
Nickel Elite Contributor

You can verify if you have the premium version, go to Help | About ACT! and check to see if the name there includes the word premium.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com