Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2008 Mail Merge Printing issue

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

ACT 2008 Mail Merge Printing issue

In the knowledgebase, there is an entry that outlines how to change printer trays when doing a mail merge. It does not work for me. I have tried every combination I can think of to change the paper tray so I can print on letterhead. I have tried from within Word Options, Printer Preferences, Page Setup, you name it.

Anyone have any idea how to make this work? My only work around so far has been to save the merged docs to a file then open the file in word and I can print it wherever I wish. This suggests it is an ACT issue when it makes the call to word.

HELP!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author msmit64
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: ACT 2008 Mail Merge Printing issue

Hello msmit64,

When using Word as the default word processor, ACT! retrieves print tray settings from Word itself.

Have you changed the default tray preference in Word (Word Options | Advanced | Default tray)?

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author msmit64
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Hello msmit64,

When using Word as the default word processor, ACT! retrieves print tray settings from Word itself.

Have you changed the default tray preference in Word (Word Options | Advanced | Default tray)?

Copper Contributor

I am having similar problems with printing.

Act seems to want to use printer default preferences set at the control panel level

I have a colour duplexing machine

When printing a merge, if I go to the preferences in the printer dialogue box, say B/W single sided.

If the default is Color Double side, regardless of the changes I made, it prints the default

(Vista home premium, Word 2007)

Tom David Moxam
JM
Nickel Contributor

I've failed to take the time to look this issue up which has been a thorn and have posted this in the feature request and on the Community Forum of Share Your Ideas.

Does not matter what printer model I have Ink all-in-one HP 7300 and a Brother Laser HL-5250DN.  The issue is after the ACT Write templete Merged to a DOC file when you enter the Pritner Dialog Window Properties to set it to Duplex it does not stick.  After you save as a file than re-open it to print you get a different more advanced (or I would like to say the Word Printer Dialog Window Properties) window that duplex does work.  Another trick I have is using Adobe Acrobat after the merge I print to PDF or create PDF.  After its done I jump back to Word with the DOC still there and NOT having done a Save I can Print getting the advanced Dialog, because Acrobat needs to save the DOC first in a temp folder which tricks ACT Wrod to let it go and use Word Properties box.

For VIsta Home Prem. ACT 11.1 Hot fix1. Fails to Print pages as Duplex when set in printer properties dialog right after the Write mail Merge to WORD2003. Rather than save the file and re-open it to print it.

Thanks,

JM

Hello JM,

Based on the information provided, your issue appears to be associated with a previously reported issue. I will provide an update if the status changes, or if an alternative workaround to this issue is identified. I apologize for any inconvenience this issue may cause. 

Platinum Elite Contributor

I was recently told about a possible solution for duplex printing using this:

http://www.fineprint.com/products/fineprint/index.html

I haven't got a Duplex printer, so haven't any idea if it solves the problem.

Maybe someone in this thread could download the trial, test it and report back?

JM
Nickel Contributor

Mike,

It looks like a neat product for those that print many web site pages and maybe for $50 it's worth it (free puts a banner on print outs).

I don't think I need to install and test it because it will work just as Adobe Acrobat now does for me by re-directing print que to the FinePrint application which take over the print driver.

For myself it's best to just save the Quote document to a file, reopen and print it, or convert DOC to PDF than Print from Adobe and select dulpex that is fewer steps then Fineprint and for free.

Thanks,

JM