Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! 2008 Installation Problem

Tuned Listener

ACT! 2008 Installation Problem

I am trying to install Act 2008 after un-installing Act 2007. When I am installing 2008 I get one warning "T-SQL execution command line has encountered a problem" and asks if I want to send the info to Microsoft. After I get past that point I get an error message that stops the installation at that point: "ACT! has detected an incompatible version of Microsoft SQL Server 2005 ACT7 instance. Please uninstall the instance and restart this installation.  I ran ARPWrapper as instructed from MS's help & support area on how to un-install an instance of SQL Server 2005 manually. It looks like it did it, but ACT 2008 install says 'it ain't so'.

Anyone have any ideas on what I do next?

Thx.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT! 2008 Installation Problem

Make sure you have a backup of the database... then try these step I use to create a clean install:
  • Uninstall any version of ACT! with Control Panel
  • Use the Uninstaller.exe from the ACT! KB 19338 to clean the system
  • Uninstall .Net Framework (all versions)
  • Uninstall MS SQL with Control Panel if it's still there
  • Uninstall MSXML Services with Control Panel if it's still there
  • Perform a Selective restart with MSCONFIG as per ACT! KB 14499
  • Install .Net 2.0 Framework from MS web site - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&displa...
  • Manually install MS SQL as per ACT! KB 19386
  • Install ACT! 10
  • Restore from Selective Startup Mode with MSCONFIG back to normal
  • Reboot

[ Edited ]
Mike, I am a novice at Act 2008 and am having serious back up issue with my stand alone Act 2008 (10.). I can no long backup my database.  I get a access denied error.  Also, I see various SQL program in my regedit file that are not in my program directories, such as, sqlbrowser.exe, a subdirectory for 8 and for 9.

I need to be able to back up my system. {Edited by moderator for content: non solicitation}.  Thank you.

Sincerely,

Greg Harrison
Interim Director of Development
Foundation of the Seattle Indian Health Board
606-12th Ave S
Seattle, Wa 98114

Message Edited by neil_beam on 02-23-2008 01:37 PM

Sorry, but I'm in Australia and calling the US for support really isn't an option. I suggest you contact an ACT! Consultant from www.act.com/acc

I'd also suggest that posting your phone number in a public area like this is also not a good idea

I need urgent help.
Since I bought Act!2008 I cannot install it properly.
I tried to buy unlimited service but I could not access the phone line it just did work and I could reach the technitions.
So I gave up.

As my last hope before I ask to return my software is this forum.
The thing is everytime I try to install Act I get stuck with SQL installation on my Vista Ultimate.

----
Product         : Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition
Product Version : 9.2.3042.00
Install         : Failed
Log File        : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0008_FIUZA-PC_SQL.log
Last Action     : InstallFinalize
Error String    : SQL Server Setup Failed to compile the Managed Object Format (MOF) file c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared\sqlmgmproviderxpsp2up.mof. To proceed, see "Troubleshooting an Installation of SQL Server 2005" or "How to: View SQL Server 2005 Setup Log Files" in SQL Server 2005 Setup Help documentation.
Error Number    : 29513
---

I already perform clean installation as suggested in this thread but it didn't work.

Someone please give help.
Regards,
Copper Contributor

Hello,

First, this likely a Microsoft/SQL issue rather than an ACT! issue... so, I would suggest searching forums.microsoft.com for more information.

A quick search on Google found the following post, which recommends creating a BAT file to fix a WMI problem, or downloading and running a WMI diagnosis tool from Microsoft. 

Finally, your error references sqlmgmproviderxpsp2up.mof which sounds like an XP thing, while you're running Vista.  Have you tried installing SQL Server 2005 Express manually before trying to install ACT!?  Maybe MS has an install more applicable to your OS than the one included with ACT!  You should be able to download and install it from:

HTH,
jason

Jason Sellers
ACT! Engineer 2000-2007

I cannot install Act! 10.0 on a new XP 2 machine due to the SQL Server issue (files already exist, etc.) I've seen some related recommendations - what is the reference to "as per ACT! KB 14499" and related ACT! KB references?  Thanks!

Dunndeal wrote:
I cannot install Act! 10.0 on a new XP 2 machine due to the SQL Server issue (files already exist, etc.) I've seen some related recommendations - what is the reference to "as per ACT! KB 14499" and related ACT! KB references?  Thanks!

The ACT! Knowledge Base... you can search by article numbers. For example - http://tinyurl.com/2bs598