Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! 2008 Freezing Issues

ACT! 2008 Freezing Issues

I'm having an issue when I load ACT! on my desktop from the server it takes several minutes to load and continually freezes my entire computer. Is anyone else having these issues?
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT! 2008 Freezing Issues

How much RAM on your machine and server?
How big is the database?
Is it slow if you open the database on the server?
Are there other users? If so, is it slow for them?

i have the same problem with Act E-mail 2008. it freezes at start up, and during e-mail use it freezes very very often. when restarting act e-mail i get an error there is no e-mail setup. i have to restart the computer. i have new computers with 1.87 GB Ram.   

Using Internet Mail or Outlook?

When you say "freezes" at startup, you just mean it takes a long time?

What anto virus?

i was using internet mail. was not taking long, it took forever, i had to restart all computers that were loged in to act. But, since i switched using outlook i dont have that problem. Anti Virus; i use Symantec Endpoint.  

kleinyoel wrote:
i was using internet mail. was not taking long, it took forever, i had to restart all computers that were loged in to act. But, since i switched using outlook i dont have that problem. Anti Virus; i use Symantec Endpoint.  

You said it was freezing when using email? Are you using ACT! 2008?

If so, and you're still using the ACT! email client, it has to read the Outlook Inbox on startup... so, if you have a lot of items in your Inbox, move them to another folder... or, better yet, change the preference to just use the Outlook client and don't use the ACT! email client at all.

thanks, thats exactly what i did, i hd no proplems since.. i preferred using act as the e-mail client, in order to keep history etc automatically to the contact. i will pass on that at this time. 

Using Outlook can also record sent emails to ACT!'s history since ACT! 5 or 6.

With ACT! 2008, see this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/3keown

i thank you for your support. i intialy set act to be the default contact list in outlook, but was taking too long (for me) at start up. i decided to keep outlook on its own. it currently works fine as is, (im not looking for new trouble). in total, i start up outlook before act. to write e-mails, i use the link in act. but to recieve e-mails i use outlook. in my opinion the e-mail client in act needs some work.

kleinyoel wrote:

i thank you for your support. i intialy set act to be the default contact list in outlook, but was taking too long (for me) at start up. i decided to keep outlook on its own. it currently works fine as is, (im not looking for new trouble). in total, i start up outlook before act. to write e-mails, i use the link in act. but to recieve e-mails i use outlook. in my opinion the e-mail client in act needs some work.

Which is why most users switch to just using Outlook...