Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2008 Error

ACT 2008 Error

When I first open ACT I get the following error message.  There is no error number given.  Any idea what this could mean?  I have also started to get the same error message when I try to open the Activities tab on a few contacts.  I dismiss the message, and the Activities tab displays nothing, ie, it's blank!

"Error retriving a list of Activity Instances for the specified Accessors: Error occurred"

Thanks for the help.

Brian

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 2008 Error

This would seem to indicate an error with one or more recurring activities in your database. A couple of things you can try:

Run database maintenance

- Go to Tools/Database Maintenance/Check and Repair

- Make sure you are signed into ACT! as an Admin user and run the utility twice in a row

Delete old activities

- First check your Task List for any old, uncleared activities (set your task list filter to All Dates, All Types and All Users)

- Clear (or erase) any activities that are not current 

- Then see the following Knowledgebase article for information on deleting old activities:

How To Remove Old Data from Your ACT! Database

Choose the option to remove "Cleared activities older than.." - pick a time frame that is acceptable to you. Remember that deleting these cleared activities just removes them from the calendar and the activities table...they will still be in the contact's history.

After removing the old activities, run the database maintenance referenced above.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

I did all this, but the error message still shows up every time I first start ACT.  I kept 3 years worth of activities in the calendar as I refer to my past schedule a lot.  Maybe I should reduce this even further??  I also continue to get the same error message when I try to open the Activities Tab on one contact (this has been consistent).  I would delete this contact and reenter it but there is a fair amount of history I would lose.

Any idea what else I could try?

Bronze Super Contributor

Are the 3 years worth of activities still open or closed?  If they're not closed, why not?  This could be a part cause of your problem.

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 

Most were cleared (is that what you mean by closed?), and I've spent all morning clearing those that were not.  I am current now to this weeks schedule and of course future activities.  Should I now go back and repeat the steps you first sent?  I still get the same error message when opening ACT.

Brian

Re: ACT 2008 Error "Error retrieving a list of Activity Instances"

I've now spent a good amount on time on the phone with ACT support (at my expense).  They have run a number of database repair utilities, etc but still this error (and some record corruption) continues.  They now think the problem may be related to alarms, and so want to run a utility to clear all alarms in my database, but we cannot get the Citrix connection to my laptop to work.  For me to manually remove all the alarms would take a very long time.  Are there any other solutions to removing all alarms in a database??

Brian