ACT!2008 Email is crashing

Astute Commentator

ACT!2008 Email is crashing

I just downloaded and installed: 

ACT! by Sage 2008 (10.0) Version 10.0.3.182, Hotfix 1
English (Canada)
Sage Software, Inc.

My email stopped working. 

If I use Internet Email, it crashes when it goes to save new messages.

If I use Outlook email, it crashed when I closed Email window.

Any suggestions? 

Re: ACT!2008 Email is crashing

SSAVCH,

Reinstall using the full 10.0.3 download.

Simply uninstall ACT! via add/remove programs and use full download to reinstall.

I've sent the full 10.0.3 download link via private message (yellow envelope in upper right).

dlunceford!

I encountered the same problem after installing the ACT! by Sage 2008 (10.0) Version 10.0.3.182, Hotfix 1 (English Australia). My e-mail (Internet Mail) crashes while typing the message or when saving the message. I get a message that no e-mail is set up. Next I get a MS Windows message the e-mail will be closed.
SSAVCH line is the first indication that I'm not the only one who encounters this problem. I have been through the Knowledge Base but couldn't find anything.
Any chance of getting that download link for the full 10.0.3 download? And I presume, I have to setup all my preferences and Syncronisation with my Laptop again after the install?
Astute Commentator

Well,

I have downloaded and installed the full 10.0.3.

Guess what happened next? It would not restore my saved email database.

The restore process runs with a problem. When you open Internet Email in ACT!, there were none of the message from the email backup. Not a single one!

After poking around the system for a while I figured our, that the new 10.0.3 was placing email database in a different directory, than 10.0.2.

So the question is: how does Act! 10 determines in which folder the email database file is placed?

And further more, what tools besides ACTDIAG are there to manage ACT! Email database?

FYI, a simple "HOTFIX" screwed up my working environment for a day. And it took me 8 hours to get it working. I am NOT a novice ACT! user. I have been using the software since 1991.  Your QA people need to take more pride in their work.

ssavch,

10.0.3 update doesn't move your emails.  If you're using internet emails, it will be in the following folder.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\ACT\ACT for Windows\Email\10

Sometimes after reinstalling ACT!, it doesn't link the old emails properly inside the preferences.  

1. Go to Start -> Run -> type in actdiag and cilck Ok.
  2. Click Databases -> Database List.
  3. Check the size of  ActEmailMessageStore. 

If its greater then 15, then its an issue of it not linked properly and you'll need to call into support so one of our agents and restore the email.

---------

Clearwater,

I see that you're based in Australia.  The versions I have are for US and Canada.  Which localization are you using?  You can verify by going to Help -> About ACT!.

dlunceford

The only indication about localisation I have in the "AboutATC!" window is "English (Australia)". Second line down.

Astute Commentator

dlunceford,

thank you.

the size of myACTEmailMEssageSTore is 465.30, which corresponds to the size of the .sql file.

the actual file happens to be in directory 

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\ACT\ACT for Windows\Email

not in  C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\ACT\ACT for Windows\Email\10

And it is working fine at the moment. 

Do I have to buy tech. support to call your tech. support?

I'm having a similar issue, could you possibly send me a link for the 10.0.3 full download?

[ Edited ]

Disregard, I solved the issue. The complete details are in my IT Blog, but here's a summary:

I had recently upgraded my client's ACT 2008 to the latest edition, 10.0.3.182 hotfix 1. The next day, his email stopped working, so I assumed that the problem had to do with the upgrade given that there were a few posts concerning known issues related to that update that caused this problem. After trying all of the recommended fixes and getting no where, I looked closer at the ACT email outbox and noticed that he had dragged his archived messages into it.

I moved his archives messages back into his inbox, and that solved the problem.

Message Edited by netchem on 10-16-2009 01:18 PM