Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! 2008 EXPORTING/IMPORTING EXISTING CONTACTS

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

ACT! 2008 EXPORTING/IMPORTING EXISTING CONTACTS

I am currently using ACT! 2008 version.  I have exported some existing data into Excel and I have made changes to the details in Excel. Now, when I import the changes to ACT it does not overwrite the details but it creates another record. Example; from the existing ACT, the name of company is Zaza Cosmetics and I have made changes in Excel as Zaza Cosmetics Private Limited. When i import these details into ACT - it creates a brand new record instead of overwriting it.  Please can someone help me answer my problem. FrancineWoman Surprised

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Francine Joseph
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT! 2008 EXPORTING/IMPORTING EXISTING CONTACTS

Check duplicate setting and change the Merge options to overwrite from the source (backup first).

If that doesn't give you what you want, you might need to use itImport to merge back the changes.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Copper Super Contributor

Thats the way import works I'm afraid to say. I would suggest making the edits in ACT! in the contact list view which is similar to Excel. Just make sure it is in edit mode.
Darren Flood
ACT! Certified Consultant
Evolution Marketing;
ACT! Software
& CRM Consultants - Australia
Solution
Accepted by topic author Francine Joseph
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Check duplicate setting and change the Merge options to overwrite from the source (backup first).

If that doesn't give you what you want, you might need to use itImport to merge back the changes.

Bronze Elite Contributor

Hi

In the Preference Settings you will see Duplicate Settings, click on this and look at your options. If you have changed company names but want to over wright the old company name you can not use that as a field in the Duplicate Settings during the import. Phone Number is also a good field NOT to use as a Duplicate Checking field. Only you know what changes you made in Excel but how about Surname and Postcode.

If in the Options settings in the import wizard you use do not create new records where ACT does not find a match at lease you will not have lots of duplicates appearing. The import wizard is not the best I have seen and if this does not work the previous suggestion of a import tool may be the way forward.

Good luck.

Chip

Hi Francine,

I have had similar revelations with this issue as well.  Here is my work around as I have determined there appears to be no other fix for this issue: if you export all of the database field elements and data for that record, or all of the records you need to update en mass, you can make a backup of your database, delete the original record(s), make the changes in the excel dump, and re-import from the csv file as a new record with all mapping in place.  Therefore if you have numerous updates, you will not find yourself having to re-edit the record or delete it after the fact. If the import is not successful, you can restore your backup and retry it.  I hope this doesn't seem too cumbersome, but it is very clean and eliminates duplicates. As a note, with the word processing tools within Excel, it allows to clean up and standardize the data being reimported as well.  Hope this helps...

AL Wilmore...