Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! 2008 - Country code in Phone field vs. Country list

Tuned Listener

ACT! 2008 - Country code in Phone field vs. Country list

I am working to find a solution for the phone setting, that is stuck with 1.

In my Country code drop down listing, I have listed Norway (not Norge).
In the Country selction under the Phone Field, I have listed both Norway (47) and Norge (1).
I am not able to change the Contry phone dial prefix to 47, as it automatically return to 1.
Thus, new customers are also getting the Country code 1.

I have tried to add Norge, delete Norge, add Norway, delete Norway and any other combination in the Country drop down listing, but the Country code still remain 1.

Any ideas how to get around this problem.
Nickel Contributor m4y
Nickel Contributor

Re: ACT! 2008 - Country code in Phone field vs. Country list

Aaaah the country codes! Great story Smiley Wink

What's the language of your Windows?

Xavier Nyssen

ACT! Certified Consultant @ Intuitis | Belgium
{ +32 64 45 08 00 | xavier@intuitis.be | http://intuitis.be }
Tuned Listener

My O.S. is norwegian (i.e "Norge" with a Country Code that should be 47).
Copper Elite Contributor

try this online kb
Tuned Listener

Thanks for the input.

So what finally did work for me, was to delete both the 'Norway' and 'Norge' choices from the Country listing (found under the 'Tools' menu).

Then I added 'Norge' again.

It appears that 'Norge' is a default country value in the O.S., that ACT! cannot overrule in the telephone listing. Probably the above mentioned action takes away the confusion in the system with two listings for Norway.

That means, I am still not able to change the country listing from 'Norge' to 'Norway' (if I would prefer to use the english country name). As that automatically will lead to two choices in the system, 'Norge' with Country Code No. 1, and "Norway" with Country Code No. 47 and with no possibility to set the country code 47 as a default.

Am I right?
Platinum Elite Contributor

Did you try setting Norway in the Coutnry field for your My Record?

You might also try to see if there is an ACT! Certified Consultant in your area... dealing with non-English versions of Windows can be tricky for those who have not had the experiance.

You might post a request for this feature to be considered for a future version here - http://www.act.com/community/feature

Input from this web page goes directly into a database that management has direct access to read, and which they also track and gather statistics on.

It's good for more people with international issues to post them so that they can be seen by the developers.
Nickel Contributor m4y
Nickel Contributor

Sorry for delay...

So, it's "simple" to explain.

Since the country code are generated by your Windows, it depends on the language of Windows, here Norwegian.

To apply by default the good country code, you have to begin by filling the country field. If the value you choose exists in the country code list from the phone field, ACT find the correspondence and apply the good country code. If the value doesn't exist (for example "zzzz" in the country field), ACT create a temp value in phone list with [1] as country code.

So, you have 2 solutions.
1. You translate all name in the country field in the language of your windows. So, ACT could find a correspondence between the country field and the phone field
2. You import a UK reg which replaces all the country code in the phone field by english names. It is my favourite solution (here, in Belgium with 3 official languages) because you can keep the default list for the country field and simply apply a reg file on each computer to translate the countries from the phone field.

If needed, I can provide you a UK list for Vista or XP, tell me which one you want.

Xavier Nyssen

"simple to explain"... once you know how it works, mon ami.

We find a lot of people (even with English versions) who can seem to get ACT! to use the correct default country codes.

You and I should have a chat off-line and see if we can make some recomendations to Sage for a better way to handle international users - English or translated.

Maybe we can put together a little group with Ingo Lange (Germany) and Michael Ranck (Hong Kong) et al... to cover the main issues and maybe create some general suggestions for Sage?

Not sure who handles this at Sage, but if we come up with some good documentation and suggestions, hopefully Dave will find the appropriate person to pass it to.

What do you think?
Nickel Contributor m4y
Nickel Contributor

I forgot to tell that the solution is located in
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Telephony\Country List] in the regedit.

Each sub-key concerns one specific country code. For example, if you have a look at
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Telephony\Country List\32], you'll see that this key concerns Belgium (there is a string value called "name" with the name of the country).

Replace this value by "Belgiumzzzzzzz", open your act, click on the button next the phone field and look in the drop-down. You'll see a new value "Belgiumzzzzzzz" but the country code still be the good one (32)!!

So, regarding the issue described in this topic, by replacing the name "Norge" in the [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Telephony\Country List\47] by "Norway" should be solved the problem.
In selecting first the country on a contact (Norway), then press to the button next to the phone field, it will show you "Norway [47]" because there is a correspondence between the value of the country field and a value listed in the country code from the phone field!

Now, you have to update all value for all countries. So it is easier to import a REG file from a computer installed with a US Windows....

GLComputing wrote:
You and I should have a chat off-line and see if we can make some recomendations to Sage for a better way to handle international users - English or translated.
Maybe we can put together a little group with Ingo Lange (Germany) and Michael Ranck (Hong Kong) et al... to cover the main issues and maybe create some general suggestions for Sage?

Yes it is a good idea. The most difficult thing should be to find the good hour for everybody to do that.

But actually, I already written a documentation about that for internal use. For that and for an other problem with the phone country code ("Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error when click on the button next to the phone field). I already discusses about them on the newsgroups, but no idea if someone at Sage read my post about it nor if it is solved now...

Maybe I could try to translate this document in English and discuss about it by email with Michael, Ingo, you,...

Xavier Nyssen

m4y wrote:
But actually, I already written a documentation about that for internal use. For that and for an other problem with the phone country code ("Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error when click on the button next to the phone field). I already discusses about them on the newsgroups, but no idea if someone at Sage read my post about it nor if it is solved now...

Maybe I could try to translate this document in English and discuss about it by email with Michael, Ingo, you,...

Translate it as well as you can to English and send me a copy... I'll test it all and tidy the English to make it easy for Sage