Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2008 (10) sharing issue, new computer

ACT 2008 (10) sharing issue, new computer

I am moving ACT from one computer to a new faster one. Everything seems to have gone fine, new install, backup and restore as to new computer, set as sharing, new databases open fine on the host computer, but can't login from another computer, same network.

I can see them, but when selected, error

Not accessable, chk your connections, blah blach.

I have shared the folder containing the files, and I set them up as shared when restored as.

I set the shared folder as a mapped drive on second computer 

Must be missing something

???

Thanks 

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: ACT 2008 (10) sharing issue, new computer

There is an option in the database, under Tools > Database Maintenance > Share Database - you will need to make sure this option is checked (enabled).

If this is already checked, it may be the firewall blocking communication.  For firewall exceptions to add and further steps to resolve this issue visit this article: KB Article 19640

Greg Martin
Sage

I checked the firewall and that seems OK, do I need to have the .pad file on the remote computer as well?
Silver Contributor

The pad file is jmust a pointer.  You can copy it to the 2nd computer or just open it accross the network.  It probably won't change these results.

Make sure you can browse accross the network to the shared database location and create a file modify the file, delete the file. You will need ot have these rights.  Also, review the KB article greg provided.  Look for ghost shares etc.

Finally, you didn't mention your operating system.  If you have version10 and a new computer (Win7) this could also  be your problem as this is not supported (you'd need to upgrade)

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Thanks I will chk in the AM, we are running XP on host, Vista on 2nd computer, which was working before moving to another XP computer.