Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2008 10.0.3 Upgrade Did Not Work

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

ACT 2008 10.0.3 Upgrade Did Not Work

I down loaded and applied 10.0.3 Upgrade.  After performing the upgrade, ACT will not start.  Receive ACT Error msg to be sent to Microsoft.  App will not even load.  Please provide any suggestions for resolution.  Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author msgddg
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: ACT 2008 10.0.3 Upgrade Did Not Work

msgddg,

Browse to the followign folder - C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Windows and double click MachineConfigUpdater.exe.  You'll see a black screen flash.  Try to open ACT! onces the screen has disappered.  If that doesn't resolve the issue, I would reinstall ACT!  using the full 10.0.3 install download.  I will PM you a direct link so you can download the software.

Thank you.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author msgddg
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

msgddg,

Browse to the followign folder - C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Windows and double click MachineConfigUpdater.exe.  You'll see a black screen flash.  Try to open ACT! onces the screen has disappered.  If that doesn't resolve the issue, I would reinstall ACT!  using the full 10.0.3 install download.  I will PM you a direct link so you can download the software.

Thank you.

Tuned Listener

I also downloaded this upgrade to ACT! 10 but it will not get past a second installation screen telling me to go back and close Word and Outlook. Neither of those programs are running, so there is nothing to close. I cannot get past that screen to do the upgrade.  Any help?
Platinum Elite Contributor

Go to the process tab in the Task Manager and end the appropriate process. You could also try rebooting the system.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Tuned Listener

OK, I found Outlook.exe still running in the process window. I ended the process and the installation ran. Now after I rebooted, I get an error message from Windows that ACT! has encountered and error and closed. This happens about 1 second after double clicking the ACT! desktop icon.  I run the upgrade and ACT! no longer works...great.
Tuned Listener

Ran the machine configuration program and that fixed it.

I also tried to upgrade my version of Act! 2008 this morning, 2/22/2009. The installation proceeded including uninstalling the current version. Unfortunately the uninstall seems to have worked but the installation failed & now I have no version of Act1 left on my computer! This is a disappointuing development and since it is Sunday, no Sage support is available.

The installation *.exe is not in the Program Files\Act folder.

Hope I can get some support on Momday from Sage.

Copper Elite Contributor

bjacobs,

In my opinion Mike Lazarus has the best practice for making sure you get the cleanest uninstall and re-install.  He has outlined this process a number of times:

1.  (already done) Uninstall ACT! using add/remove program in control panel.

2.  Run Uninstaller.exe (KB# 19338)

3. (Except Vista Users) Uninstall .NET framework - all versions

4. Uninstall any MSSQL items using the Control Panel add/remove programs

5. Uninstall MSXML Services (if present) using Control Panel add/remove programs

6. Initiate Selective startup and enable/disable the programs mentioned in KB# 14999

7. (XP Only-Not Vista Users) Install .NET 2 from the Microsoft Website:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&displa...

8. Manually install SQL (KB# 19386)

9. Install ACT! then any patches 

10. Run MSConfig again and turn off selective startup mode, set startup mode to normal

11. Reboot

Please, Please, Please, add the "Click on MachineConfigUpdater.exe" step to the main ACT knowledge base files!  My coworkers and I have spent hours trying to update ACT on our laptops after the main database for our office was converted.  This simple additional step solved our problem, but it took me a long time to find the solution, even on this board.