Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2007 will not run (or stay running)

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

ACT 2007 will not run (or stay running)

Good morning,

I would really appreciate some help here please! I need to get this thing running again.

My ACT 2007 program will not run. When I launch the program, I see a brief glimpse of the splash screen, and then nothing. Nothing else happens. No error messages, nothing. Zip, zilch, nada, etc. Period.

I have updated to the latest patch. I have uninstalled and re-installed, and I have done a repair install. Nothing has made a difference. I am running Windows XP SP3 with all updates, and Kaspersky for AV etc.

The program was running fine until one day last week, and then it quit. I can't think of any event or change that would cause it to fail.

Any input would be appreciated, all ideas entertained!

Thank you,

Phred

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Phred
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: ACT 2007 will not run (or stay running)

Check your private messages (yellow envelope towards upper right).

View solution in original post

All Replies

Uninstall using the ACT! Uninstaller from the KB article below.  Then reinstall using the full download that I have PM'd you (yellow envelope towards upper right).

How to Use the ACT! Uninstaller.exe file

Hello David,

Thank you for your assistance. I have download both files and printed off the KB article. I will not get to try this until Saturday, so I will post my success after that time.

***One question: Should I ALSO uninstall the ACT7 instance of the SQL server, or uninstall the -entire- MS SQL Server 2005, or neither?

Thank you for your help. Please let me know what I should do about the SQl server when you get a chance!

Thank you

Phred

Uninstall the ACT7 instance.

Thank you David. I'll give it a shot tomorrow morning and let you know!

Hello David,

I ran the Uninstaller as directed, and removed the instance of the ACT7 SQL. I then rebooted and re-installed using the file you sent me. When it was all over, the program reacted exactly as it had before, giving me a brief glimpse of the ACT splash screen, and then nothing.

So I did it all again, and this time I went in and uninstalled the SQL Server from the "Add & Remove Programs" section in Control Panel. I then ran Norton's Windoctor and cleaned up leftover registry entries. Then I rebooted and reinstalled again. Unfortunately, I have the same result. A brief glimpse of the ACT splash screen and then nothing.

What would you recommend for the next step? Could there be missing or corrupt Windows files?

I have no idea where to go from here, but I appreciate your help and look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thank you,

Phred

Nickel Contributor

Does eventlog produce any errors when this occurs? Are we able to get into the diagnostic?

(Sorry to come at you with more questions but the answers to these could help us find a resolution)

More questions are OK. Answers, not so good:

1). Not sure where to find the eventlog you reffered to.

2). I tried to manually execute ActDiag.exe, found in the ACT directory. Nothing happens, and no processes running that look like that. Is that the diagnostics you were referring to?

I appreciate the help, seems like very few are willing to tackle this one...

[ Edited ]

Go to Start > Run and type in assembly.  See if you have any duplicate act files with different versions.

Example:

Act.Data  9.0.0.557

Act.Data  9.0.1...

I also suggest that you call ACT! technical support for better assistance.

Message Edited by dlunceford on 01-28-2009 11:37 AM

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply. That sounds like a good idea. I will try what you have suggested and advise.

I am functioning without my ACT at the moment, and I am trying to avoid shelling out the big bucks for telephone support.

I am VERY grateful for all help offered here in the forum. I'm sorry if I sound like I am not.

Thanks again,

Phred