Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! 2007 loses registration every time,

Copper Contributor

ACT! 2007 loses registration every time,

I've searched throught the various threads and haven't found anything similar to this, so...

Last week (after a 'patch Tuesday'--coincidence?) when I load ACT! 2007, it immediately goes into the Registration & Activation Wizard. I've found that if I step through the screens, adding my registration information, it always fails to activate via the Internet and suggests that I need to phone. I've done that once and the next day, it still needed registration. I've found that if I click Cancel at any time in the Wizard, I get an alert that registration has not been completed, ACT! will continue to function in Trial mode for 0 days. If I confirm and close, ACT! loads up as if nothing had gone wrong and runs fine. A day or two after my system began this, another system on the network began, as well.

Unfortunately, the MS updates done are unknown, it was one of those "come in in the morning and have a message on your screen that the system had rebooted in the night courtesy of MS" events. The update history doesn't show any listing for the last month (although this happens pretty much every week). The last listing of an update was a series of .Net patches a month ago. 

Is anybody else experiencing this? I suppose the next stage is an un-install / re-install but I thought I'd check if there's a simple fix first.

Re: ACT! 2007 loses registration every time,

If you're on 9.0.1 with hotfix 2 or 3, make sure the Protexis service is started.

Copper Contributor

Thanks for the quick response, sorry I've delayed a bit in answering. We're using ACT! 9 version 9.0.1.162 and the Protexis service is running. Of three systems, only two were affected; all running XP Pro with the same version of ACT. Oddly enough, I came in a couple mornings ago and both affected systems had done a "patch Tuesday" reboot overnight and one is working fine. The other however, is still asking for (but not requiring, if cancelled) activation each time.

Perhaps an un-install / re-install is in order.

Copper Contributor

One thing I haven't mentioned, after I click cancel on the Activation Wizard and acknowledge that I will be running in a demo mode for 0 days, when I go to About ACT I get:

This Product is licensed to:
Serial Number:
Number of Licenses: 0

In spite of it all, it still runs fine with no nags or restrictions. Still have to get time to un-install / re-install