Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2007 and 2008 version/licensing scenario

ACT 2007 and 2008 version/licensing scenario

Hello all,

I do the computer work for a small office that has 5 PCs and 1 more was recently added.  ACT 2007 has been up and running on the 5 PCs without any issues for quite some time.  Each of the 5 systems has its own box/license for ACT 2007 and the PAD file was copied locally to each system from the "main" PC's file share.  All systems run Vista 32-bit in a workgroup and have two accounts: one admin account for the owners and another limited account for the workers.  Things have been working great with running ACT 2007 under both accounts.

The addition of the 6th computer (also 32-bit Vista with the same two accounts) brought some issues.  The owners could not get ACT 2007 at the time because ACT said only 2008 was available (this was right before 2009 came out).  I tried to install the 2008 version on the new system but it wouldn't work with the 2007 main host system and corresponding PAD file.  So I put on 2007 and used the 2008 license key.  It seemed to take fine and ACT runs without any prompt under the admin account, but not the staff account.  It comes up like it's not licensed.  I contacted ACT customer care and they didn't say much except that 2008 serials are just for 2008 and I needed to contact tech support.  I figured I would write here instead.  So this poses the questions of:

1.  How can I get ACT 2007 properly running and activated for both accounts on the 6th system?

2.  Since it looks like they have 5 2007 licenses and one 2008 license, do they need to purchase a 2007 license?  Are they even available?  Can they swap the 2008 license for a 2007 one?

3.  Although the owners are quite happy with ACT 2007, would it be possible to upgrade the main hosting system to ACT 2008 and keep the "client" 5 PCs at ACT 2007?

What would be the best course of action here?

Thanks,

Al

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 2007 and 2008 version/licensing scenario

All systems accessing a shared database need to be of the same version.

So, you'd need to either upgrade the users to 2008 (better 2009) or see if you can purchase a 2007 - you could try contacting an ACT! Certified Consultant to help with this, they often know where to source an old license if needed

The best option would be to upgrade to 2009... it's a much better product.

Thanks for the quick reply, Mike.  So if all systems accessing a shared database need to be at the same level, I assume the only two practical options would be to stay at 2007 and get a license for the 6th computer somehow or take everything to the 2009 version.  I wasn't involved with them when they purchased the 2008 version, but they said they called ACT directly so I'm assuming that the rep just told them that 2007 was no longer available and gave them 2008 not knowing they were running it shared.  Maybe they can get some kind of credit for the 2008 software that they won't be using?  Do you know of a link to the differences from 2007 to 2009 that makes it much better?  What about a doc outlining the upgrade process?

Thanks,

Al

Platinum Elite Contributor

techguy817 wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply, Mike.  So if all systems accessing a shared database need to be at the same level, I assume the only two practical options would be to stay at 2007 and get a license for the 6th computer somehow or take everything to the 2009 version. 

Correct

I wasn't involved with them when they purchased the 2008 version, but they said they called ACT directly so I'm assuming that the rep just told them that 2007 was no longer available and gave them 2008 not knowing they were running it shared.

Or they didn't tell the rep it was for a shared system

Maybe they can get some kind of credit for the 2008 software that they won't be using? 

Or, you can just get 6 upgrade licenses now

Do you know of a link to the differences from 2007 to 2009 that makes it much better?  What about a doc outlining the upgrade process?

Here are some of the improvements:

http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2009/03/what-changes-were-made-in-act-by-sage.html

[ Edited ]

Ok so the owners want to stay with the 2007 version for now and got a 2007 license for the 6th system.  I registered ACT under the admin account but it says that the trial has expired for the standard user account.  I'm not sure what is going on.  All the systems have Vista and we don't have this problem on the others.  I looked at 

Error: "Administrator Level Access Is Required To Register This Product"

but this doesn't seem to help and wasn't performed on the other systems.  Any ideas?

<Content edit: fixed KB article link.>

Message Edited by dlunceford on 04-30-2009 08:33 AM