Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2007 Very Slow

ACT 2007 Very Slow

This was my response to FC's complaint but I thought I would put it here also,

Hi FC

I also am having issues with the speed of this package. I upgraded to two GIG, defraged my database of 7500 records, removed old history , re indexexed, loaded Hotfix 3 and I am still getting the hour glass of death or the "Loading" pop up when I try to clear an activity or go to my daily calender.

In other threads I see that many people are saying upgrade to 2008 and many problems will be solved.

I will not reward incompetence with more of my money. I am now ACTivly looking for an alternative.

My needs are pretty simple. If anyone knows of a package that had the same features of ACT 2000 with the addition of attaching files to the mail merge process please let me know.

Thanks

Kevin

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 2007 Very Slow

ACT! 2008 is faster but I don't think that is your problem. My first guess would be that you have never removed cleared activities.

With all due respect, you should be careful when you use terms like incompetent.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

Tried vtiger?

One thing to look at before you jump ship - check the number of files in any attached files type folders. I don't know how act 2007 handles things; but in act 6 all attached emails, for example, tend to get stored in one folder. We don't have the option of just deleting old attachments, so after several years of constant use by 30 odd users we have close to 100,000 files in that folder.

Windows will choke when accessing any folder with more than about 7 - 10 thousand files. I have yet to find a tool that will easily allow me to reorganise those files into subfolders, but from memory there are tools like that available for more recent versions. 

Hi Roy,

I did choose my words carefully. My first choice was chicanery but I figured I would give them the benefit of the doubt. I have plenty of time to choose words since it takes up to one and a hlaf minutes to open up my daily calendar and up to one minute to close out a modifed record.

My data base is under 7500 contacts, I upgraded to 2 gig RAM, hard disk is 30% free, deleted old data over 400 days though I have contacts that I may speak with every two years, I uninstalled ACT using the execute, uninstalled and reinstalled SQL and ran HOTfix and the program still moves like sludge. Not one of the other programs that I have on this system comes near the slow response time if this albatross.

I have been using ACT since the early 90s. I upgraded to 2005 because I wanted the capability to add attachments to my mail merge. In 2005 I found out that the daily calender template (standard dayrunner) that I used for the prior five years was NOT part of the system and that syncing databases was difficult if not impossible. (Do you think that the people that brought and won the lawsuit against Sage should have chosen thier words carefully?) I was told by ACT support and ACT consultants that 2007 would solve my syncing problems. I bought 5 packages of 2007 and decided to not sync any databases.

So as a single user with only 7500 records. when I complain about the slow response time I get the answer of I should buy the new version (even though the version I have is supposedly still supported).

Sorry but I have flushed enough money down the ACT toilet.

Thank you. I am going to check this out.
Nickel Elite Contributor

What you are experiencing with the ACT! program is not typical for myself or any of my clients and several of them have many more contacts in their database than you have. As I told you before, ACT! 2008 is faster but I don't think that is your problem. The problem could be your system or the database itself. Because you primarily indicated problems with the calendar, I suspected a large number of cleared activities in the database.

What I was gently trying to say before, if you choose to accuse others of being incompetent, you should make sure you're blameless.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Tuned Listener

Nice easy test. Create a new database - is that slow too?

If not, I'd consider listening to what Roy has to say.

Also, not a good idea to go off on one when your asking for help!!

Unless of course you just wanted to rant in the first place..

Regards,

Cesc 

Hi Roy,

Sorry for my prissy response but I get so frustrated with the new Sage.

I am spending way too much time on this when I should be using it as a tool to generate business.

Thanks for trying to help.

Kevin

MPJ

To Roy or anyone else:

I seem to have a similar problem as Kevin, but I am using ACT! 6.  I know this is fairly old now and no longer supported.  We will likely be upgrading to the latest version later this year, but I am afraid the upgrade won't resolve my problem either.  I am one of 6 users and I am the only person experiencing this slow behavior.  I have significantly better hardware than others who experience much better responsiveness within ACT!.  My database has less than 1900 entries, but this seems irrelevant since we are all accessing the same database.  I don't believe the slowness is related to my user account in ACT!, since I get good response when I run it from other computers.  So the problem seems to be local to my computer.  I have just uninstalled and reinstalled and the behavior is the same.  This is not a network traffic problem since I have just copied the ACT! database onto my computer locally and it still shows the same unresponsive behavior.  

I saw Roy's previous post about not getting rid of old activities.  The only activities I ever use are To Do's and I checked this list, which is seen by all users, and it is less than 10 items and none are from me.  I don't send any e-mail from ACT!, but others who do still have much better responsiveness than me.  

Is there any other aspect of the program that I should check as to the cause of its slow behavior on my specific computer?  Thanks.

Mark