Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2007 Premium for workgroups integration with Outlook 2003 and Exchange 2003

Accepted Solution Solved
Astute Commentator
Accepted Solution

ACT 2007 Premium for workgroups integration with Outlook 2003 and Exchange 2003

We are having some problems with mass mailings via ACT 2007 Premium for workgroups.

1. When we try to mail merge to more than 125 contacts at a time, ACT dies. Also
2. When we send out emails with attachments, they are being dropped. It might not be an ACT issue since Outlook shows an
attachment was sent but the recipient indicates none was attached.

We are using Outlook 2003 with Exchange 2003 to send our mail out.

I'm not an exchange admin. Would there be any logs on Exchange that I could look at to see if there are entries related to this issue?

Thanks for any pointers. Andoven

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author andoven
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 2007 Premium for workgroups integration with Outlook 2003 and Exchange 2003

ACT! is unable to do anything about the Windows resource issue.The merge limitation has existed since ACT! 3 on Windows 95. For large volume email I would suggest that you use SwiftPage Email. They connect directly to the ACT! program and, infact, the link is built into ACT! 2010.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

View solution in original post

All Replies

Re: ACT 2007 Premium for workgroups integration with Outlook 2003 and Exchange 2003

It's mostly a Windows resource issue. Each contact merged is a separate transaction and large merges typically will cause the problem you are seeing due to depletion of Windows resources. While systems vary, the general rule of thumb is the limit each merge operation to 100 or less contacts. 
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Astute Commentator

So, you don't feel that a newer ACT version would address this issue?

And furthermore, you are saying no ACT user would be able to send more than 100 emails at a time from ACT?

It's hard to believe that there isn't another way to address this problem.

What about attachments? Is there a way to send attachments from ACT to email recipients without having them stripped off?

Andoven

Solution
Accepted by topic author andoven
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

ACT! is unable to do anything about the Windows resource issue.The merge limitation has existed since ACT! 3 on Windows 95. For large volume email I would suggest that you use SwiftPage Email. They connect directly to the ACT! program and, infact, the link is built into ACT! 2010.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Astute Commentator

I wonder if we purchased a PC with lots of RAM ( 4GB ? ) , Windows 7 with a 64 bit OS and a 500GB hard disk, if ACT would still die at user number 120 on a mail merge? A 64 bit OS would overcome memory limitations, shouldn't it?

Thanks, Andoven