Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2007 - MS SQL service stops randomly.

Copper Contributor

ACT 2007 - MS SQL service stops randomly.

The MS SQL service has been stopping randomly for a while now. ACT locks up with a scrambled screen on all networked computers and checking the services on the server gives the following alert:

"SQL Server is terminating because of fatal exception c0000005. This error may be caused by an unhandled Win32 or C++ exception, or by an access violation encountered during exception handling. Check the SQL error log for any related stack dumps or messages. This exception forces SQL Server to shutdown. To recover from this error, restart the server (unless SQLAgent is configured to auto restart). "

Restarting the service and restarting ACT on every system clears it up for a while, until it happens again. Microsoft has been no help at all, they blame a faulty DLL in ACT.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled the SQL server to no avail. Googling the above alert gives hundreds of complaints (none mentioning ACT) but no solutions. Has anyone else been getting these errors?

Copper Contributor

Re: ACT 2007 - MS SQL service stops randomly.

Following up...

I see that after a couple weeks many people have read but no solutions or notes of anyone having similar problems. Perhaps it's just one particular system and a peculiar effects of XPs continual degradation.

I see that the new versions of ACT! use MS SQL 2008 and have found articles in the knowledgebase about updating the SQL server. Has anyone tried this? Would it be worth the trouble? Is the new version of MS SQL as buggy as the 2005 version? And more importantly, would it even work with ACT! 2007?

Platinum Super Contributor

Is the SQL service stopping at particular times of the day?  Is there any pattern to it...

One common cause for the ACT7 service to stop is when Windows Automatic Updates attempts to install an update to SQL.  The Act7 instance is protected - the sql update stops the service > fails to apply > doesn't restart the service.  Usually this would only occur once a day (scheduled update time) but worth looking.  If an update is trying to apply, you can hide it (remove it) or search our knowledgebase for steps to manually apply it.

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Thanks for the reply. I've checked and all updates seem to have been done. This seems to be a random thing. It will run all day or stop after a few hours, then stop after an hour, etc. Setting the auto restart option doesn't do anything either. If I get time I'll try and dig into the logs and see what messages I can find.

The server that is running it needs a good cleaning anyhow (won't even shut down anymore), so I might just do the necessary wipe and reinstall of XP. Should I try MS SQL server 2008?

Platinum Super Contributor

With Act! 2007 I recommend you stick with SQL 2005.  Act! 2007 wasn't designed with SQL 2008 in mind.  There may be some community members who have successfully connected the two, but we haven't tested that combination in house. 

Other thoughts on the issue:

- Have you noticed any issues with memory usage?  Could you be running out of memory and having that crash the service...

- Have you cleaned out the Temp files folder?  Start > Run > enter '%temp%' > how many files/how much space used .  Delete all that can be (some will be in use and will not delete).

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Thanks again for the quick response.

I'll stick with SQL 2005. It was just a thought; we've had numerous issues (data migrating from one record to another, history entries getting scrambled, etc.) that all seemed to revolve around the SQL server so I thought the newer version might be more stable.

I try to keep the Temp files clean but I haven't monitored the memory. I'll try to keep an eye on it.

Thanks