Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! 2007 Error Message "Object Reference not set to an instance of an object"

ACT! 2007 Error Message "Object Reference not set to an instance of an object"

I am trying to schedule a custom activity and I keep getting this error message.  What did I do wrong?
Nickel Super Contributor

Re: ACT! 2007 Error Message "Object Reference not set to an instance of an object"

Nothing, sounds like the custom activity never created correctly, try re-creating it or running db maintenance.

Tom
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT! 2007 Error Message "Object Reference not set to an instance of an object"

I also am experiencing this error. We are using ACTv9 and did not convert from an earlier version of ACT. When I add a custom activity I get this error message, when I try to update activity type result names I also get this error message, and when I try to deactivate an activity again I get this message. Basically when I try to manage activities full stop, I get this error message, and cannot proceed.

You might try this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/45o89q

If not, What version of ACT! (the full build from Help | About)?

Also, does the same thing happen in the demo database?

Hi Mike

Thanks for your prompt assistance. I have done an check and repair = successful. Just tried the demo database = same error occurring.

Version we are using is: ACT! by Sage Premium for Workgroups 2007 (9.0) (ST Edition) Version 9.0.1.162, Hotfix 1, English (Australia)

Any idea of what to try next?

If it happens on the demo database, it's unlikely to be corruption in the database. It might be either .Net or damagae to the ACT! application.

This is a procedure I wrote to get the most clean install possible:
Uninstall any version of ACT! from Windows Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs
Use the Uninstaller.exe from the ACT! KB 19338 (the exe, not the manual uninstall)
Uninstall .Net Framework (all versions) - this does NOT apply to Vista users as .Net 2.0 is part of the OS and can't be uninstalled
Perform a Selective restart with MSCONFIG as per ACT! KB 14499
Install .Net 2.0 Framework (only 2.0 for ACT! 9/10) from MS web site (only XP, not Vista)-
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&displaylang=en
Install ACT! 10.0 full install
Install ACT! 9.01 patch if the previous install was the previous build and Hotfix 3
Restore from Selective Startup Mode with MSCONFIG
Reboot