Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2005 v. 7.0 Restore Problem

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

ACT 2005 v. 7.0 Restore Problem

Hello, I have ACT 2005 version 7.0. I have made the mistake of not making a recent backup and my windows instalation has failed. I have taken the HD out of my computer and have access to all the files. I've installed a new version of ACT 2005 v. 7.0 on my new pc. I have copied the .PAD file to the new pc but when i try to open it i receive the following error message:" cannot associate file with different databases." Does anybody know how to migrate the data or restore it without a backup directly from the files. Thanks. Al.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author trupa
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: ACT 2005 v. 7.0 Restore Problem

Problem fixed. Just in case someone else has the same issue: I copied the database folder with the .pad and .adf files and the data folder containing the sql files usually located c:\program files\MicrosoftSQL\ACT...\Data of the old hard drive. On the new pc after installing  ACT 2005, shut down the ACT5 Sql service from control panel>administrative tools>services. replace the data in the folders with the old data, making sure that the pathway name to the database is the same as in the old instalation. restart ACT sql service from services and open the database in ACT.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nickel Elite Contributor

The PAD file is just a pointer. The database files have the extensions ADF and ALF.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

I have already tried the .adf and .alf files. Same error message.

ACT 2005 Restore Problem.

[ Edited ]

Sorry guys, i managed to click on the solution button and make it seem like the problem has been solved but it hasn't. I have tried the .adf .adl files as instructed by royal with the same result i still get the same message. sorry for reposting twice.

Original Post:

Hello, I have ACT 2005 version 7.0. I have made the mistake of not making a recent backup and my windows instalation has failed. I have taken the HD out of my computer and have access to all the files. I've installed a new version of ACT 2005 v. 7.0 on my new pc. I have copied the .PAD file to the new pc but when i try to open it i receive the following error message:" cannot associate file with different databases." Does anybody know how to migrate the data or restore it without a backup directly from the files. Thanks. Al.

{post moved from separate topic}

Message Edited by tashina on 07-09-2008 10:35 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: ACT 2005 Restore Problem.

Hi, I unmarked your solution. To change a marked solution, you can go to Options on the upper right of the post you marked as a solution. Then, under Options, choose Unmark as Accepted Solution.

Solution
Accepted by topic author trupa
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Problem fixed. Just in case someone else has the same issue: I copied the database folder with the .pad and .adf files and the data folder containing the sql files usually located c:\program files\MicrosoftSQL\ACT...\Data of the old hard drive. On the new pc after installing  ACT 2005, shut down the ACT5 Sql service from control panel>administrative tools>services. replace the data in the folders with the old data, making sure that the pathway name to the database is the same as in the old instalation. restart ACT sql service from services and open the database in ACT.