Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! 20011 pro won't restart after exiting normally

ACT! 20011 pro won't restart after exiting normally

on Win 7, the Act pro 2011 works great. but when i go to FILE | Exit the app appears to exit. then using the shortcut on the desktop, i go to start the Act 2011 pro and nothing happens!

i have to use the Task Manager to end task on the service ActSage.exe *32 then restart the app, and it opens just fine. i get the Sage splash screen and then ACT opens right into my Contact Listing, just the way my preferences are set.

don't see anything else on the forum to this behaviour. Act is on locally of my Win 7 laptop. don't have to worry about Firewall or LAN but something is stopping it from a normal startup after a normal exit

would appreciate any insight.

thanks

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: ACT! 20011 pro won't restart after exiting normally

Have you tried running ACTDIAG yet? Cheers - FSB

Bill Williams - Owner/Consultant/Trainer at Fill Staff "ACT! FOR RECRUITERS"
Manage Your ACT! Backups http://fillstaff.com/backupfolderspro.html - FREE
BIG ACT! LAYOUTS for Larger Monitors www.bigactlayouts.com
Protect your Files & Folders with Folder Lock Pro by New Software http://download.cnet.com/Folder-Lock/3000-2092_4-10063343.html

yes, but it has nothing to do with a normal restart of ACT. all database, sql, sync's tests are fine, logs report no errors.

i think it has something to do with the ActSage.exe *32 service in not releasing it's thread to the application so it cant start another instance.

i.e. it's a programming problem.

Platinum Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello Dameng,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community!

By your description - you are correct, Act! is not releasing completely with the Exit and subsequently can't start a new process.

Quick tests:

1. Use the X in upper right corner to close.

2. Try running Act! 'As Administrator' and test.  To do this: close Act! > right click on Act! icon > select 'Run As Administrator'

Do you have any add-ons for Act! installed?

And to verify that it is not database specific, open the Act! demo and then close to test.

Greg Martin
Sage

Thank you for your Quick response and acknowledgement.

i closed/ exited via the X and restarted via Run as Administrator.

repeated with the ACT Demo. i get the same result.

monitoring the Task Manager processes, when exiting by either method, the process doesn't exit, which is not a problem. most apps running as a service remain running. however, the kicker..... when attempting to Restart, by either method, one sees the ActSage.exe *32 start up a 2nd instance and then it goes away. so for about 2 seconds you see that service running twice and then the new instance quits.

i installed this ACT about 3 weeks ago, and it's been this way since day one. i installed QBSalesData addon last week.

other Act services are still running. don't know if they affect it or not. (yes i've rebooted many times as well)

Act.Outlook.Service.ex *32, and Act.Outlook.Sync.exe *32. naw, just tested, made no difference.

i am logged on my laptop as a user with Admin priviledges.

i'm sure it's something simple.

thanks

The ActSage.exe process is the one to focus on - the others will continue running when Act! is not open.  They are the processes that run integration with Outlook and synchronization.

FYI - this isn't a known issue, so the steps I'm asking may seem basic but they are to help eliminate possible culprits.

Next tests:

- Close all other applications and then close Act!.

- Disable Outlook integration and remove Act! address book from Outlook.

- Check Event Viewer for error messages.

Greg Martin
Sage

thank you. here's the update:

i did perform the tasks as instructed,

close all apps. then Act!.

disabled the Com add in from Outlook 2007, and removed the Act! address book from Outlook.

result: no difference.

the Event viewer has no errors reported for the Act!.Outlook service. the only entries regarding Act! are teh ACT!Scheduler where it's timing out. ( count is less than o equal to 0. i have it set to sync every two hours, which obviously is not working.

so, is it time to make a DB backup, and then re-install Act! or Uninstall then Install? what else can i mess up by doing so?

guess if i did this step, i'd have to uninstall the QBsalesdata add in first.....

willing to try anything.

thanks

Without having a better idea of what is causing it to hang, I can't be sure that an uninstall/re-install will improve the situation.  Here are a couple more ideas to try before going the uninstall route:

1. Disable anti-virus software and test.

2. Reboot the computer in Selective Startup and test.  Here is an article with steps for rebooting in Selective Startup - (be sure to leave any ACT!, SQL, or Protexis services enabled): KB Article 14173

Uninstalling the program through Add/Remove shouldn't have any adverse affects - it will leave the SQL installation in place.  Definitely a good idea to backup your database, but only as a precaution - the uninstall won't affect the database (unless saved in the C:\Program Files\Act path).

If the Selective Startup continues to have the same issue, uninstalling will be the next step.

Greg Martin
Sage

i will give that a try today.

thank you for the suggestions.

so, it is normal behaviour for the ActSage.exe *32 to remain running after exiting Act! or is that process supposed to be released automatically?

thanks

It is supposed to release automatically.

Greg Martin
Sage