Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! 20011 pro won't restart after exiting normally

Re: ACT! 20011 pro won't restart after exiting normally

well, the good news: i don't have to re-install! for when processing my PC in the "selective" mode, start up Act! and then File | Exit, and  the exe did release ! and i was able to restart  Act! with no problem.

so now to figure out what's causing the hang....dang.

obviously some startup process or service. guess we can't blame microsoft either since the instructions said to leave all microsoft services running. Smiley Wink

if you have any tools i can use to narrow it down, it would be much appreciated.

thanks

Platinum Super Contributor

Well, that is a plus - but the bad news is we don't have a quick way to determine the culprit.  It may take a few restarts... enabling a few services at a time and testing.  I would start with enabling only anti-virus software and test. 

Greg Martin
Sage

i figured it out. after many hours of rebooting my pc to go thru each startup and service in the selective startup mode....... i discovered it is caused by my local TeamViewer.exe service .

if TeamViewer service is running, and i start Act! up for the 1st time i'm ok, since the Act exe is not running. but when i exit Act! it just sits there as a running process.

if i end process on the TeamViewer afterwards, the Act!Sage *32.exe remains.

however, if i end the TeamViewer process BEFORE i exit Act! then the Act!Sage *32.exe exits the process normally.

yes, i've submitted a support ticket to them. i'm sure they will lay no claim to it.

i wonder if it's a port issue.....? or some startup parameter.

at least it's now a known entity.

thanks

Nickel Elite Contributor

You may want to try www.crossloop.com  or www.gotomeeting.com .. I use both on same pc. Vista and Win-7..

Crossloop has a free version and works very well for remote desktop support.

I use Gotomeeting for ACT! add-on Product Demo's.

I have experienced no negative side effects from  using those products with ACT! 2008, 2010 and 2011.

It's been awhile since I used teamviewer as it was inferior to the others above at the time I evaluated it..

Cheers - FSB

Bill Williams - Owner / ACT! Consultant / Trainer at FILL STAFF HR "ACT! FOR RECRUITERS"
Manage Your ACT! Backups http://www.fillstaffhr.com/backupfolderspro.html - FREE
Backup your ACT! Databases DAILY using ACT! / File/ Backup/ Backup Database.(Include Attachments).
Also - FREE - BIG ACT! LAYOUTS for Larger Monitors http://www.fillstaffhr.com/bigaldl01.html
Also - FREE - BullZip PDF Printer - Print directly to PDF http://www.bullzip.com/products/pdf/info.php
Platinum Super Contributor

Thanks for the update and the efforts! We'll definitely make note of it.
Greg Martin
Sage
Highlighted

ok, got a wonderful response from TeamViewer support. turns out TeamViewer has a "quick connect" button that allows sharing apps with presentations or remote control. they just had me Disable the Quick Connect, and duh, that did the trick! it make sense that it was hanging the Act! application and not allowing it to close correctly. I use both TeamViewer and Act! extensively so it helps in having them both operate simultaneously.

thank you very much, here in the Forum for all your great ideas and leading me through this problem and resolution.