Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 18 multiple computers & SQL

Copper Contributor

ACT 18 multiple computers & SQL

[ Edited ]

Hi there! I feel like I am a pretty decent ACT helper, but I knwo this is goign to be poking the hornets nest. Here goes...

1. Had ACT2011 running on a Win 7 box with SQL 2008 express. All worked great. Upgraded to ACT 18, and the upgrade went well. 

2. Bought a new Win 10 tablet which has SQL 2014 express. Installed another copy of ACT onto this machine. Worked well. 

3. Backed up the ACT database from the computer, transferred it, and was able to run it on the tablet.

4. Used the tablet for a day, then created a backup, and transferred the backup back to the computer running SQL2008.

5. The restored database would not open on the computer because it is running an older version of SQL.

6. Installed SQL2014 express on the laptop, but kept 2008. Now I seem to have both. The ACT instance is running on SQL 2008.It still would not restore or open the restored database. 

So the question - how do I get the ACT instance to run on SQL 2014 so that I can freely move the DB back and forth between the two machines? My guess is that the easiest solution would be:

1. Backup the DB

2. Remove ACT

3. Remove all SQL versions

4. Reinstall ACT with SQL 2014

5. Restore the DB

That said, I am always super cautious when messing with ACT, so any help would be GREATLY appreciated. 

Re: ACT 18 multiple computers & SQL

Hi there, I would agree with the steps mentioned, assuming that you don't have any other programs that rely on SQL 2008.

Your only other alternative would be to remove the ACT7 instance from SQL 2008 then manually create the instance within SQL 2014, but I believe the method you described has a better chance of success so I would stick with that.

Copper Contributor

Thanks Steven. It worked perfectly. I actually did not even uninstall SQL Express 2014. Order of Ops in case anyone needs:

1. Backed up DB

2. Uninstalled Act

3. Uninstalled all SQL versions EXCEPT SQL express 2014

4. Reinstalled ACT. Did full install, not custom. It attached the DB to SQL X 2014. 

5. Restored DB

Great stuff, glad to hear that you got a good resolution!