Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! 18 calendar won't integrate with Google, contacts do.

Copper Contributor

ACT! 18 calendar won't integrate with Google, contacts do.

Since I am compelled to use ACT! version 18 email client, (because of incompatibility with 64 bit Outlook) I tried to set it up!

While I am composing an email, I get an error which says; "could not connect to my companies pop server, see attached.

What can I do to correct this?

I am running Windows 7 Pro which is up to date

Administrator

Re: ACT! 18 calendar won't integrate with Google, contacts do.

Hi Harold,

I'm a little confused with your post as your title seems to reference a different problem.
I'll try to address the error message you have attached.

Have you confirmed that your company's pop server is up and running? Can it be reached by ping?
Are there any other Act users experiencing the same issue with internet mail?

Re: Office 64 bit compatibility: Have you considered using Office 32 bit? This is generally the Microsoft recommendation.

The new Act Premium Contact Link addon is compatible with Office 64 bit.

Copper Contributor

Gary,

Thanks for your reply!

I am the only one in my organization who uses ACT! I took all of  the setup information for my email account (POP3 server, SMTP server, user name, authentication setting from Outlook 2010 (64 Bit). All of these setting work without any issue in Outlook 2010. I know I must have some setting which is incorrect. But I can't identify what that may be.

As for the 64 bit Outlook issue: My system crashed about 6 weeks ago and I was forced to reinstall my OS (Windows 7 Pro). I installed Office 2010 64 Bit. I was not aware of the ACT/Outlook 64 bit incompatibility issue. I was using SAGE ACT Pro 2011, and took the opportunity to upgrade to the latest version of ACT Pro (version 18).

I tried to uninstall MS Office 2010 64 Bit. The first time I used Control Panel Programs & Features. This still left enough traces of  MS Office 2010 64 Bit behind, that when I attempted to install MS Office 2010 32 Bit, I was not permitted to so, by the error messages, telling me I had to delete MS Office 2010 64 Bit, prior to installing MS Office 2010 32.Bit.

I then used the instructions from MS regarding manual deletion (Uninstall or remove Office 2010) . This solution did not work for me! So I reinstalled MS Office 2010 64 bit and tried to resign myself to the inconvenience of using the 64 bit version of Outlook. But I have become so dependent on the ease and convenience of writing an email directly from ACT to Outlook, that it has become a heart ship I can't do with out.

Since I am using ACT Pro, I don't believe your recommendation of  Act Premium Contact Link addon  will be of use for my situation.

Is their any software tool which does a good job of removing MS Office 2010 64 Bit.? I would love to learn of this, and use it, so that I may reinstall MS Office 2010 32 Bit..

In case you are going to recommend that I upgrade MS Office and install the latest version, my company does not have it in the budget..

Thanks for any help you may offer!

Administrator

I would persevere in trying to reinstall Office 32 bit.

Perhaps @wellmet knows of an Office removal utility that can assist in stripping the 64 bit components off completely to allow for reinstallation.

Act! email was added to Act! a number of years ago, before Outlook became the most popular choice for managing business email, and before the Outlook integration was as developed as it is today. The Act! email component uses third party resources, some of which are no longer maintained by their creators. Due to it's limited functionality with recent security standards, Outlook integration has become the recommended method for handling emails in Act!. For these reasons and a few more, the Act! email and internet mail components have not been maintained as a core feature of the software for quite some time now, and there are no current development plans on the roadmap for it.