Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 18 and Outlook contacts/calendar sync

ACT 18 and Outlook contacts/calendar sync

Setting up an auto sync in Act does not seem to do anything. Nothing is being sync'd to Outlook.

If I look at the processes running for the user, the Act.integration.exe isn't running.

How is this supposed to be triggered to run so that the scheduled syncs happen?

Does Outlook need to be in cached mode for this to work?

Also, a manual sync seems to transfer items to Outlook, but it takes over 25-30 minutes to complete, is this normal?

Administrator

Re: ACT 18 and Outlook contacts/calendar sync

Hi woemoejack,

After starting the process manually (though the manual sync, does the scheduled sync take place?.

The sync can take this long depending on how much data is being synced. What date range are you syncing the calendar for, and how many calendar items fall into this range? How many contacts do you have?

If a manual sync is started, then the Act!.integration.exe service starts too, and the manual sync works, although very long time to process. I would assume that the scheduled time to sync would happen after a manual sync.

Total contacts is 4197

Calendar set to sync 30 days back and 1 year forward, not sure how to check total items that would be.

I should note that this is a terminal server / Citrix environment, if that helps.

Administrator

Reducing your date range to a few weeks in the future should help reduce the sync times.
You can check how many activities exist in the database by checking the Task List for all users.

http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30868/~/scheduled-microsoft%3F-outlook%3F-synchronization-...

So the way this reads, its not going to work like it would locally where the process can just run all the time.

Is there no way to force that to start on login?

What workarounds do you provide your clients who use Act in Citrix?

Silver Super Contributor

The article just says that the first sync has to be manual.  After that the scheduled sync will run.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!

Right, and I've witnessed this. However, in a Citrix environment, the users log out of the servers daily. This means that the whole process starts over the next time they log in.

So, every new login they will have to do a manual sync before any scheduled syncs happen. That's what I'm getting from that article.

Silver Super Contributor

That wasn't the way I read it.  Citrix environments can be set up several different ways though.  Sometimes when you start up your instance it is a fresh instance every time and your interpretation would be correct and sometimes when you start up your instance it remembers what happened the last time you logged in in which my interpretation would be correct.  This is one of those cases where we can both be right just not at the same time!  :-)

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com

Yeah, unfortunately ours is one where its a new session each time. I might be able to get creative with the way the app opens where it launches both Act and the integration service on new logins. Otherwise I dont see a solution.

Silver Super Contributor

I could write a plugin to do it.  You might want to create a post for the Share Your Ideas forum if there isn't already one there.  I can see where a plugin to automatically sync contacts and calendars with Outlook would be useful in a Citrix environment.  I don't think it would be that difficult to write.  Send me a private email if you'd like to discuss it.

Stan

Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com