Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 17 Task List Issue

ACT 17 Task List Issue

Hi all,

I'm running ACT! Pro v17 on a Windows 7 Peer to Peer network. I've just installed 2 brand new workstations which are in every way identical (8Gb ram, 128Gb SSD drives, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, ACT 17 with hotfix1). They have the same antivirus and the act folder is excluded within the AV software. The ACT Database is stored on another machine on the network.

The problem is when I access the task list from 1 of the machines, it takes almost 40 seconds to display. On the 2nd computer it takes about 3 seconds. There are maybe 150 tasks in the list. The other thing I noticed is that when I access the task list from the slow computer the memory usage for ACT.EXE in the task manager spikes significantly. And it doesn't give the memory back.So for example if I access the task list the memory usage runs up to maybe 300mb. Then if I move around a bit and come back to the task list it will run up to 500mb and so on until the ACT.EXE process is hogging a ton of Ram. The memory WILL get released if I completely exit ACT.

I have completely removed the AV software from this machine but no luck. I've checked and double checked for differences in software on the 2 machines but can find nothing. Does anyone have any suggestions on what this might be? I would greatly appreciate any advice anyone can offer!

Thanks,

Steve

Silver Super Contributor

Re: ACT 17 Task List Issue

Are you logging in to Windows and Act! as the same person on both machines?

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!

Usually each machine has a different user but I did try using the same user on both machines and it doesn't seem to matter.

I have 4 computers in all and 2 have this speed problem, 2 don't. I used the 2 identical ones that I recently installed as a basis for my initial post for simplicity. So it's not just 1 bad machine.

It sure seems like a memory problem because on the ones that work, ACT.EXE memory usage just hovers around 100mb and doesn't spike. I've compared notes in ACTDIAG and all the settings are identical too... My next step is to try a total reinstall on the problem pc and see if that helps. I appreciate any other ideas...

Silver Super Contributor

I've seen PCs over the years that seem to use a lot more memory than other PCs do for no apparent reason.  It sounds like you've got a good environment for figuring out what the real issue is.  If the machines really are identical I'd be interested in taking a look at it before you wipe them off and reinstall Act!.  I can't promise that I can fix it but I'd like to see if I could.  I won't bill you for it.  You can contact me via a private email or with the contact information in my signature if you're willing to kill an hour or so experimenting.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Platinum Elite Contributor

This sounds to me like a problem with the actual network. It would be mainly noticeable with the ACT! program because of the high amount of network traffic. I would suggest that you backup the database on the server and do a Restore As on one of the problem machines and test the behaviour of the task list with the local database compared with the network copy.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Good idea except that one of the computers on the network that has this issue just happens to be the server. As I mentioned, I used the identical machines to explain the problem for simplification but the server has the issue also...

I've noticed in my office that even "identically configured machines", are often not identical.
Nickel Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm just guessing but before I do anything else,

for starters,

I would go to the act download center and get the most current service pack and hot fixes

http://www.act.com/resources/downloads/act-pro-v17 

All machines using act! must be same version  / service pack / hot fixes. etc...

Maybe that will resolve issue? Smiley Happy

If not,

I would run the actdiag  - database rebuild options on all act! databases on all machines. ?  or at least start with the main server pc.

.. I do that at least once per month on my databases. 

also

Reference the ACT Knowledge base

http://kb.act.com/app/answers/list/kw/task%20list%20slow/sno/1/search/1/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ2NjA5Mjg0...

Bill Williams - Owner/Consultant/Trainer at Fill Staff "ACT! FOR RECRUITERS"
Manage Your ACT! Backups http://fillstaff.com/backupfolderspro.html - FREE
BIG ACT! LAYOUTS for Larger Monitors www.bigactlayouts.com
Protect your Files & Folders with Folder Lock Pro by New Software http://download.cnet.com/Folder-Lock/3000-2092_4-10063343.html

Thanks Bill, some interesting information in there.

I have new version of Act, just downloaded. I assume all hot fixes are already in place. the data base I am developing is really  limited, only a few records, its a learning experience. Actdiag should take all a few seconds to run, but I'm not optimistic it will find anything wrong. .

Nickel Elite Contributor

U R Welcome - not so sure the updates, hot fixes etc. will be in place? Doubt it?

Way to stay current is first reference your current installed version - Help / About

Then you go to ACT! download center website page to see what up in the way of what needs to be downloaded and installed from there.

Service Packs, Hot fixes... - hope that helps - Bill Smiley Happy

Bill Williams - Owner/Consultant/Trainer at Fill Staff "ACT! FOR RECRUITERS"
Manage Your ACT! Backups http://fillstaff.com/backupfolderspro.html - FREE
BIG ACT! LAYOUTS for Larger Monitors www.bigactlayouts.com
Protect your Files & Folders with Folder Lock Pro by New Software http://download.cnet.com/Folder-Lock/3000-2092_4-10063343.html