Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 17.1 - Performance DOG - suggestions

Copper Contributor

ACT 17.1 - Performance DOG - suggestions

Hi all.

I love the functionality of Act and have done for years.

However. I've jsut got a lovely newly revuilt desktop with an SSD, RAID and lots of 64bit windows memory .

everything is working super fine.

However.

I just know from my last pc install that as soon as i install ACT it is all going to slow down noticably. ACT will run fine...it's just everything else will start to trudge through treacle.

I run on  a network and have SQL running on the server. I presume that is the best way to minimise the impact on the client.

I previously asked here if there was anyone of using a batch file to stop local act and sql SERVICES from running - couldn't get it to work.

I ONLY USE INFREQUENTLY - say 3 or 4 times a week.

Do I just have to live with the poor performance or is there anything else i can do?

please don't say install all the windows updates as that makes it MUCH MUCH worse!!...microsoft introducing slowing down mechanisms over time to encourage upgrades methinks

I have no antivirus and use windows firewall - they aren't the problem.

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 17.1 - Performance DOG - suggestions

Hi 

unfortunately you did not explain where your computer slows down, 

if you want qualified responses, it would be helpful to let us know

• Operating system
  • Office version
  • Act version

in any case you may also want to look at this KB that we maintain

regards

Ingo Lange

ACC since 1995
Developer of Addons for ACT

CrmAddon Factory
+1 203 541 0040
Copper Contributor

hi

act17.1 - as per the title

it doesn't amtter if it is win7 or 8; 32bit or 64 and it doesn't matter if it is office 2007 or 2010. i ahve all combinations...same on each.

as soon as i install act the whole lot slows down noticably ie even when act itself is not formally runnig (services are)

I assume it's the services causing it but I don't know.

as i say. i previosuly asked how the services can be closed (via a btch file) but could not get that to work.

if you could provide the KB link that would be great

Copper Elite Contributor

Hi 

you would want to look at this link   https://kayako.crmaddon.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/200/0/outlook-is-loading-very-slow...

and this is the link i did send before, if you hover over "this KB" you would see it :-)

https://kayako.crmaddon.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/107/0/making-act-faster-improve-th...

it is mainly how to improve act, but it also effects other programs like office

regards

Ingo lange

ACC since 1995

CrmAddon Factory
+1 203 541 0040
Copper Contributor

thank you :-) I missed the link on the hover

the current PC is a new install so there is no old stuff nor redundant stuff.

I am technically literate and I know how to defrag hard disks and the like (as per your links). 

that is not why I am writing here.

installing act causes a noticeable slow down of the entire system. ACT itself runs fine for my purposes. It's just that all my other stuff then doesn't !

Copper Elite Contributor

Again, try the first link..

it will make outlook/excel/word faster...  

if you think other things are slower you would have to describe what exactly is slowing down. 

regards

Ingo Lange

ACC since 1995

CrmAddon Factory
+1 203 541 0040
Copper Contributor

tried it...maybe faster. not noticeably faster on this PC.

will try on the PC in question and hope for the best

Copper Contributor

Why not disabling the two Act related services via services.msc. We don't use any smart tasks (as they are so completely limited, and slow, they are completely useless in my opinion), so we also disable the "ACT! Smart Task Service Host" on our machines. The description of the "ACT! Service Host" suggests, that this one isn't very useful either, so safe to disable.

Remove the Act integration.lnk under "C:\ProgramData\microsoft\windows\startmenu\startup"

There's also a ACT! preload somewhere in the registry's Run Keys. I guess it's also safe to remove that, if you aren't using ACT! daily.

The worst part of an ACT! installation are the useless Office AddIns. Without them, my Word, Excel, Outlook start immediately, but as soon as ACT! is installed, it takes about 2-3 seconds for any of theese apps to run. So I also disable the Addons as they serve no purpose (despite the WordAddin for creating Templates, which I enable when I create Templates. But there's absolutely no need to have everyone of our 120 users to always wait 3 seconds for word to start, even if they are not doing anything ACT! related with Word!)

Copper Contributor

:-) unfortunately the useless ones are the ones I use !!! :-)