Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! 16 will not start

Copper Contributor

ACT! 16 will not start

After using ACT! 16 throughout most of the day, I had to reboot my PC. When I did, ACT! 16 will start but my database will not open. I tried to open the demo database and the progress bar reaches the point where "Logon completed" is displayed then the progress bar stops. Aftter a few moments, I get the Windows error message, "Not Repsonding".  I reviewed existing posts for a solution but I was unable to find a fix. The status of Sequel Server (ACT7) is Started and Startup Type is Automatic.

I would appreciate any help.

Thank you.

d

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: ACT! 16 will not start

If you're using AVG then this is the problem.

Disable AVG and Act! should start ok - then re enable AVG.

You'll need to see this Act! KB to set the AVG exceptions:

http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25125/~/using-your-anti-virus%2Ffirewall-software-wi...

HTH

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 
Copper Contributor

Thank you for the fast response; however,  I do not use AVG so that's not the issue. 

Thanks again. 

Dan

Silver Super Contributor

Try running actdiag and deleting the Preferences from the Tools menu.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Copper Contributor

Thank you for your suggestion. Running ACTDIAG just seems to be too daunting a task for me but I do appreciate your trying to be helpful.

My following comments are not directed to you, Stan. I"m writing them in hopes that maybe someone in management will see this.

I think I'm finished with ACT!. The first version I had, over 20 years ago, was stable and NEVER crashed or had issues with having to run something like ACTDIAG. Every upgrade since then has had issues. I had some issues a few months ago that I finally resolved after 7 - 10 days. It's been running fine until a few days ago when suddenly the program simply won't boot up. I've been a PC user for more than 30 years and I literally have never had a program that presents to many program issues. Other programs present functionality issues but that's far different from a progam refusing to open.

Thanks again, Stan, for your suggestions.

Dan