Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 16 and WINDOWS 10 STOPPED WORKING

ACT 16 and WINDOWS 10 STOPPED WORKING

Hello::

System as follows: latest upgrade to windows 10 and office 2016.

Prior to latest update of windows 10, Act V16 was working fine, albeit office 20126 was quirky.

Started Act today and received following popup:

The "." computer could not be reached because ip address "" could not be resolved. Verifying the "." computer is available on the network and that it has correct ip address and the Microsoft SQL server is properly installed may resolve the issue.

The program is on a stand alone laptop.

Any thoughts as to what this means and any possible solutions.  I really need access to the data.

Silver Super Contributor

Re: ACT 16 and WINDOWS 10 STOPPED WORKING

Associated with your database is a file that ends in a ".PAD".  So if your database name is Contacts you have a file named "Contacts.PAD".  You will also have a file named "Contacts.ADF".  If you delete the file named "Contacts.PAD" and then open the file named "Contacts.ADF" it will recreate the "Contacts.PAD" file and it should open your database.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Platinum Elite Contributor

In all likelihood the ACT! instance of the SQL server didn't start.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Administrator

[ Edited ]

Here's an article that covers how to check if the SQL service is started, and if not, how to start it.
http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38181

Also another for a workaround if the service repeatedly does not start after rebooting.
http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30854

Thank you so much.  It took me a few tries to properly apply your solution (I should read slower and everything), but it appears to have resolved the issue.

You haver saved my many hours of frustration and re-typing.

Thanks again