Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 16 Pro - History shows wrong path for attachements

ACT 16 Pro - History shows wrong path for attachements

[ Edited ]

Act! Pro Version 16.1.207.0, Hot Fix 1 English (United States)

Database is on local machine Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

Am presently running ACT 6.3 on Windows XP 32 bit machine.

Did a backup of this database and placed on external storage to use on new Windows 7 machine.

Installed ACT 16 Pro on new Windows 7 64 bit machine. Tried to convert database from ACT 6.3 but it failed with an error message of missing files.

Installed ACT 16 Demo on an existing Windows 7 32 bit machine and was able to convert the same ACT 6.3 database with no errors that failed on Windows 7 64 bit machine.

Did a backup of this ACT 16 converted database on the Windows 7 32 bit machine and placed it on external storage.

Did a restore of this ACT 16 converted database backup on the ACT 16 Pro Windows 7 64 bit machine and it worked.

Only major problem is in history.

All the attachments still show the path as C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Filename as used in Windows XP and not C:\Users\Username\Documents\Filename as expected in Windows 7.

One would think the ACT 16 conversion would take this into account when converting an older database.

Is there anyway to fix this other than an individual history edit since there are hundreds of them?

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 16 Pro - History show wrong path for attachements

Hi,

if you did not make major changes on the new database, the best way to get this solved is to redo the migration again, and make sure that the documents are accessible, (so that the link will work) act will then while the convert import the attachments so you can then access them. if this is not possible, you would have to consider to copy all the data to the local pc, (where the new act is installed, and again so you can access the data via the link displayed.

regards

Ingo Lange

ACC since 1995
Developer of Addons for ACT

CrmAddon Factory
+1 203 541 0040

Re: ACT 16 Pro - History shows wrong path for attachements

[ Edited ]

If I understand what you are saying, I would do the following before attempting to convert the files on the new machine.

1. Create the following folders on the new Windows 7 Pro 64 bit machine

C:\Documents and Settings\Username\My Documents\

2. Copy all of the documents from the Windows XP machine to  C:\Documents and Settings\Username\My Documents\

3. Open ACT16 on the new Windows 7 Pro 64 bit machine and convert the ACT6.3 database

This would not be a problems since the new machine has a TeraByte Hard Drive and can easily accomadate this. If I run into the same problem as before trying to convert on a Windows 7 Pro 64 bit machine, I can create the folders on my WIndows 7 32 bit machine and copy all documents to it temporarily for the conversion.

Major question at this point if all goes well, will a copy of the original documents that ACT16 is looking for at C:\Documents and Settings\Username\My Documents have to remain on the new Windows 7 64 bit machine along with a copy of the documents in C:\Users\Username\Documents\ ?

Thanks for you suggestion and help.

Copper Super Contributor

Re: ACT 16 Pro - History show wrong path for attachements

No, as Ingo indicated, the attachments will be converted and added to the attachments folder (unless it is a shortcut to the file) of the database. If it is a shortcut, the attachment must remain or you need to attach the file manually.

Phillip R. Horn
ACTive Certified Consultants of Virginia, LLC
888-975-3111
www.accofva.com

[ Edited ]

No they are not shortcuts. All are files.

Thanks Guys I will give this a try and post the results.

[ Edited ]

Thanks guys for pointing me in the right direction.

A couple of things I now know that previously escaped me.

1. You cannot create C:\Documents and Settings on Windows 7. It exists already (sort of) in the form of a pointer and actually redirects older programs such as ACT 6.3 that call for C:\Documents and Settings\Username\ My Documents\ to C:\Users\Username\Documents\

2. My actual problem on the new Windows 7 Pro machines (both 32 bit and 64 bit) was I had created a new Username that was slightly different from the Username on the Windows XP machine. The reason ACT16 could not find the files was because of the Username not being what it was looking for. When I created a Username on Windows 7 that was exactly like the Username on Windows XP things started working a lot better. You cannot simply rename the User since Windows 7 does not rename the folders to the new Username. I had to create a new Username which resulted in the correct folders being created.

3. I can't explan why with an incorrect Username the database would originally convert and not complain of errors on Windows 7 Pro 32 bit machine but would not convert on Windows 7 Pro 64 bit machine.

In summary (or in my case at least), make sure the Username on Windows 7 is exactly the same as the Username on Windows XP and ACT16 will convert the database correctly if you have all your original documents copied to C:\Users\Username\Documents\

Thanks again. Your help was invaluable in getting this fixed.