Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 12 is very slow ALSO the backup is huge.

ACT 12 is very slow ALSO the backup is huge.

I am helping out someone with ACT 12.  I will admit I don't know too much about ACT, but I am computer savey.

I tried loading ACT under a new user account.  When using ACT without any database, it is very fast.  As soon as I import the database, everything slows to a crawl.

They have only 250 Contacts, reduced from 1000.  Their backup is over 500MB.

I'm wondering if there is some cleanup function to remove old outdated information from the database?

Is there anything else that I could do to help speed things up?

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: ACT 12 is very slow ALSO the backup is huge.

This KB may help: http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14168/

Also, you might need to set antivirus and firewall software to improve performance: http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25125/

I also often set realtime antivirus exceptions for the ACT! program files and the Microsoft SQL server program files.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello techguy717,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community.Look at the size of the .ADF file (main database file) for the database. Browse to the location of your database and it would (database name).adf.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

When I go to visit the computer I hope to have a solution, becuase I will only be there 1 time.

I will try the cleanup, but I just want to have all the information to cover my basis before I go.

They have only 250 Contacts, reduced from 1000.

They say it has not sped up at all.  It is mostly slow when clicking on contacts.  About 20 seconds to get into contacts and about 30 seconds before they can alter any fields of information in contacts.

They are asking, "Why is they went from 1000 contacts to 250, but loading contacts did not get any faster?"  This is every time they click on the Contacts button.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Does the database run faster locally? You can restore a backup locally on a client machine and test (use the Restore As option).

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

I don't know what you mean locally.

(From 1'st post,) "I tried loading ACT under a new user account."

Explaination, I added a new user account on the same computer.  Restored his database to the new user account.  But we still have the same exact slowness with contacts, when his database is loaded.  Only with contacts.  Only after the database is loaded.

He went from 1000 contacts to 250 contacts and the contacts load with the same slow speed.  I would think they would load 3/4 faster.  He was wondering if the contacts could still be stuck in ACT somehow.  I guess there is no answer.

I'm sorry I have no more time.  I'm visiting him now to see if this advice will help.  I will let you know how it goes.