Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! 11 locks up when I try to add a contact to a group

Astute Commentator

ACT! 11 locks up when I try to add a contact to a group

ACT! 11 locks up when I try to add a contact to a group.

Running ACT!11 on a laptop running XP Pro, with about 10K contacts, 2 MEG RAM, etc.

I end up shutting down ACT! with the Task Manager. Reopening ACT works, but I still can't add a contact to a group.

I have to reboot the computer, then open ACT! again. Then I can add a contact to a group. But once ACT! has been open for a while, I can't.

This soulns like one of those fames memory leak problems that ACT! was so famous for, but I thought that ended when they switched to a SQL based database.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Pat Lekawa

Re: ACT! 11 locks up when I try to add a contact to a group

Do you experience this issue within a different database?  Try running database maintenance from Tools > Database Maintenance > Check and Repair.

Also check the Processes tab under Task Manager when you experience the issue.  See if sqlservr.exe is using up a lot of memory.

Astute Commentator

Don't have another database to try. Did Repair activities. Completed successfully. SqlServer.exe is using 470,600K of memory

Now what?

I too have the same problem, which just started today.  I'm using ACT! Professional 8.0 Version 8.0.2.81 on Windows XP Pro SP2.

The only thing that did happen today was an MS Update (KB967715) which I've since uninstalled.  As suggested I've tried the same thing on the Demo database and I have the same problem there.

When I click the button, it seems to think about doing something, and I get an hour glass for a scond or two, but then ACT hangs, and  have to close it usng Task Manager, but fortunately, don't have to reboot the computer to launch ACT again.  As far as I can tell, ACT is doing everything else normally.

I did try the check and repair and that didn't work for me either.

Any ideas?

[ Edited ]

Test within a different database.  Either use the demo database which is provided when installing ACT! or create a new one.

Message Edited by dlunceford on 02-25-2009 03:45 PM

Thank you for your quick response. We have tried the demo database that was installed with ACT - but unfortunately this too causes the same problem. None of our other computers appear to be having this problem. We can still add a contact to a group by going to the necessary group and clicking the add/remove contacts button, however this is far more time consuming than the original method. In the long term this is not an option I would like to use.
Copper Contributor

I am having the same issue with ACT! by Sage Premium 2008 (10.0) (ST Edition) Version 10.0.3.182, Hotfix 1. We have several users that can do it just fine including myself so it seems to be pc specific issue. I even uninstalled act and reinstalled. Tried other databases still no luck. When this user goes to the groups tab to add a contact it totally locks up act. Once I close act and restart if she then goes to task bar or groups on the top to add a contact to groups it works just fine only when she tries it from the groups tab it locks up.